Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Tips on making mountaineering affordable?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Re: Tips on making mountaineering affordable?

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:08 am

WillP wrote:Ha! That's living large! I once ran out of everything but butter and polenta, and had to live off that for a week in a mountain hut. Although that was more poor management than frugality.

I'm guessing yours was on a big adventure. Mine was using all the resources I had from home which meant that coming back from the climb didn't mean tasty food. :wink: Fortunately my partners were super nice and bought me a meal afterwards. :D What were you doing living in a mountain hut for a week? The only time I've stayed in a mountain hut was on Rainier. At this point I'd pick a tent over the hut if weather is good. 8)
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby Redwic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:47 pm

If you look back 100 years ago, mountaineers did not have near the technology or resources yet persevered on some big peaks. It does not require a lot of money to be successful on local peaks, just pick the right peaks and conditions.

For long drives and/or mountaineering trips, take partners who are willing to share the costs of food, fuel, and pack weight.

For Kilimanjaro, don't cut corners on costs unless you have the skills and non-monetary resources to do so. If the costs of Kilimanjaro are a worry or a burden, then perhaps another (cheaper) high elevation goal should be made, or hold off doing Kilimanjaro until/unless discretionary funds are available.
Redwic

Postby bren.bettravel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:01 am

Making mountaineering affordable include many travel tips

Check and ask price quotes for flight tickets direct to the destination. Example people flying to Tanzania, have to find direct flight to Kilimanjaro.

Second, Hotel standard, choose low budget hotel but quality suitable for International Tourist.

Hiring climbing gears, carry little items like goggles, Head torch,warm clothes and mountain boots. Only rent large items which you can not fly with them like walking poles, sleeping bags.

Here is guidelines on how much does it cost to climb mount Kilimanjaro http://www.kilimanjaroclimbsummiting.com/371284130%20climb%20Kilimanjaro%20in%20Tanzania,%20East%20Africa.
bren.bettravel

Previous

Return to Technique and Training