Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

To Anyone Interested

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: To Anyone Interested

Postby MarkDidier » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 am

It's unfortunate to see Aaron go out like this. Aaron was a big help to me, answering plenty of my PMs regarding Colorado, and I have referenced a number of his pages countless times. But considering I spend a good portion of my time on this site on the Colorado pages, his absence has been felt for quite a while now. This is just the nail...

And speaking of his submittals, when I read that Aaron was going to delete nearly all of his material my curiousity was peaked so I had to go check out the Area/Range page for the San Juans http://www.summitpost.org/san-juan-range/171122. (I clicked on this page so many times last summer when I was planning my trip). I will confess to having mixed emotions when the page came up. ALL the content is gone - except for the pictures. This was a stellar page with so much valuable information. I experienced a tinge of disappointment when I saw this, feeling what a shame that this volume of information is no longer available...but a moment later I smiled, remembering that all of the work we submit here is our own and we are free to take it with us whenever we choose (whether you agree that it should be removed or not is another discussion). While I wish the beta was still on the site, Aaron chose to take it with him, and I will not begrudge him for that.

Of course, I assume the page (as well as all of his others) will eventually be handed over to another SP member; hopefully members with a passion for both the mountains of Colorado and for submitting great beta. Which leads to the logical concluson, that SP will continue to evolve, but as long as there are members willing to work to submit quality content, it will continue to thrive. Peace Aaron!
MarkDidier

Postby Aaron Johnson » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 am

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies.

Ellen has dedcided to take her leave of SP as well, so her pages are available for adoption until the 19th. These are the Pilot Knob and the Pilot Knob route pages.

Thanks.
Aaron Johnson

Postby Scott » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 am

Best of luck Aaron. I hope we can meet again in the mountains. I'll let you know next time I'm in the Denver area. I suspect my days living in Colorado are numbered.
Scott

Postby visentin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 am

visentin

Postby mvs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:This is hilarious. Someone finally realized that forums are boring and it is cool to make fun of religious people.

Same people that will edit/delete your post do not mind taking a crap on a cross, or let the crapping slide, so to say. Some of the elves here make me sick.

I think you are the one taking a crap on kind of a sad and serious situation. Pull it together dude and quit spitting venom.
mvs

Postby tonyo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

I've been a member of SummitPost for over ten years and have benefited greatly. Aaron, you and I have never met, talked, or interacted personally, but I've always enjoyed your contributions immensely. I've always looked forward to your contributions and I could always count on them being worth my time. In my mind, it's been people like you that make the 'real' site. The other is blather. And, in a way, it has to be allowed here because this is a public site. It's always been a problem- just look over the posts over the years. That's why those extra forums were created. I didn't see the thread in question, but I guess that's sort of the point. I don't bother with the worthless stuff. I still like the site. Lots of good people have left over the years. It's been a shame to see them go- I can think of a few who were excellent writers and climbers and whose contributions were some of the best. I used to be a several-times-a-day SP addict. Now it's down to a couple of times a week. By leaving, you're taking a huge bite out of the SP quality. I hardly added anything useful here myself, so I guess I can't really have much of an opinion that matters, but I'll miss seeing your stuff whenever I do stop by. I'd rather you didn't go.
tonyo

The following user would like to thank tonyo for this post
Montana Matt

Postby chugach mtn boy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Tonyo, Aaron and Ellen are not leaving because of anything they read in the forum.

Aaron's stated reasons for leaving are absurd. The thread he took issue with was no worse than many that were tolerated in his day. And Christians and Jews are not persecuted in America, for goodness sake. (On the contrary, to profess to be anything else is the kiss of death if you run for high office in this country--of 535 members of Congress, we have, what, 1 sort-of atheist and 1 Muslim?). To say these religions are "persecuted" would be to mock the true martyrs from back in the day when they really were.

No, Aaron and Ellen are leaving for another reason. I can't say I know what it is, and I wonder if they really know either. Their stated wish for SP to die quickly (rather than reform) would be childish, if they meant it, but they don't, really--it's contradicted by their statement that others "deserve a chance" to maintain the pages they are dropping.

Rather than try to talk them out of their logic, one might as well just wish them well in their future endeavors. They are talented and will contribute somewhere else.
chugach mtn boy

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Dow Williams, seano

Postby Marmaduke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

twoshuzz wrote:Vitaliy,

Do you like apples ? :wink:

i think he likes lemons, limes, grapefruit and sometimes grapes. :wink:
Marmaduke

Postby Monster5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 pm

From a casual observer:

Couldn't care less about the forums. The broad information resources make SP unique - the true bread and butter of the site. They've aided in numerous routes and provided a number of outdoors opportunities not described on other sites. It's a pity to take content down simply because of the forums or other trivial reasons. The invaluable information some of you can provide is important for detailing mountaineering history, variety, culture, and opportunities for the younger generations.

Every time I view the forums, somebody is leaving or whining for one reason or another. The reasons tend to be fairly childish and counter-productive - ie "I'm leaving because the quality is going down; I'm leaving because the overall technical skill of the users is falling; I'm leaving because nobody takes the time to stroke my ego and vote on my content; I'm leaving because the mods are bullies and censor the forums; I'm leaving because somebody posts something controversial and the mods don't censor it."

C'mon. Really? The badasses who pioneered and documented all of these routes and provided the information to see others through the same routes safely are whining over trivial crap like that and dangling your information around like a series of hostages? Ye ol' softies. You're contributing to the reason you are disappointed; instead, contribute to the redeeming aspects of the site - the information, route descriptions, and articles. Else, the site is truly relegated to a mere shadow, waiting for another to take its place and your purpose and contributions to younger generations in this context will become lost.
Monster5

Postby Dow Williams » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Monster5 wrote:From a casual observer:

Couldn't care less about the forums. The broad information resources make SP unique - the true bread and butter of the site. They've aided in numerous routes and provided a number of outdoors opportunities not described on other sites. It's a pity to take content down simply because of the forums or other trivial reasons. The invaluable information some of you can provide is important for detailing mountaineering history, variety, culture, and opportunities for the younger generations.

Every time I view the forums, somebody is leaving or whining for one reason or another. The reasons tend to be fairly childish and counter-productive - ie "I'm leaving because the quality is going down; I'm leaving because the overall technical skill of the users is falling; I'm leaving because nobody takes the time to stroke my ego and vote on my content; I'm leaving because the mods are bullies and censor the forums; I'm leaving because somebody posts something controversial and the mods don't censor it."

C'mon. Really? The badasses who pioneered and documented all of these routes and provided the information to see others through the same routes safely are whining over trivial crap like that and dangling your information around like a series of hostages? Ye ol' softies. You're contributing to the reason you are disappointed; instead, contribute to the redeeming aspects of the site - the information, route descriptions, and articles. Else, the site is truly relegated to a mere shadow, waiting for another to take its place and your purpose and contributions to younger generations in this context will become lost.

Have not read this whole thread, and sure don't see the need to.....way too predictable as always...but this statement could not be written any better if one tried.
Dow Williams

Postby Vitaliy M. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 pm

twoshuzz , seriously why the hell did you delete that comment?
Vitaliy M.

Postby Vitaliy M. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 pm

mvs wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:This is hilarious. Someone finally realized that forums are boring and it is cool to make fun of religious people.

Same people that will edit/delete your post do not mind taking a crap on a cross, or let the crapping slide, so to say. Some of the elves here make me sick.

I think you are the one taking a crap on kind of a sad and serious situation. Pull it together dude and quit spitting venom.

Well it is obvious that OP also thinks elves are currently doing a terrible job. That is why he is pulling his pages and saying good bye (according to him). You know who to thank for this serious situation. Your boring self and others that is. Even in this "serious" according to you thread fellow twoshuzz deletes my comment (although I did not break any rules by saying what I said in it) and than makes a lame attempt at being funny by mocking me. Great job mods.

Personally I think he was a very good member, and would not want him to go. And I am Christian myself, so I could relate to him being in disgust with disrespect displayed to religion here.
Vitaliy M.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback