Toenail fungus and rock shoes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
JHH60

Toenail fungus and rock shoes

by JHH60 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:44 pm

After living with it for years, I am finally treating a bad case of toenail fungus. What's the best way to sanitize rock shoes so that any fungus living in them is killed and won't reinfect my feet when I wear them? Most of my rock shoes are unlined leather but I do have some that are fabric lined.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Toenail fungus and rock shoes

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:27 pm

You could try miconazole, as found in any number of over the counter athlete's foot/jock itch spray. Personally, I would just throw them away if you successfully treat your toenail fungus. Fungal infections are so persistent it is not worth it to chance causing a reinfection.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:58 am

I considered just chucking them but the unlined leather ones have become so comfortable and well broken in that I hate to do that if there is some way of salvaging them. :)

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:11 am

I know how you feel. I got poison ivy inside my last pair of Kaukulators. Tried everything I could to remove the residue, but I every time I wore them I developed a rash. Finally had to toss them.

Steve Pratt

by Steve Pratt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:28 am

No celebrities ever died after picking up toenail fungus from their rock shoes, so there isn't much research. But here is your best chance:

First, make sure the fungus is thoroughly eradicated from your nails. If there is any residual, it will come right back. Then , wash the shoes with mild detergent and rinse and dry completely. Then, apply miconazole cream once a week to your feet, getting good coverage to the nails and spaces between the feet.

The fungus is everywhere, so you can do everything right and it can still come back. Good luck.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Fungus in general cannot live in a low pH environment. Maybe soak the shoes in something acidic like acetic acid (white vinegar) for a few days then wash them with detergent and rinse. When thoroughly dry, apply miconazole spray to the insides. I'm not sure what white vinegar does to rock shoes though.

Return to Gear