Topo map and guide book: Red Mountain Pass to Silverton

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
kanyucat

Topo map and guide book: Red Mountain Pass to Silverton

by kanyucat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:40 am

What is a good topo map and guide book to get for backcountry skiing/snowboarding in the area from Red Mountain Pass to Silverton?

I have these areas in mind and like to know approach and descent beta, like where to park, what approach route to take, etc. Not looking for an "epic" run but a couple nice uneventful days out in the San Juan Mountains :D And yes, I'll do my avalanche homework. Thanks.

- McMillan's
- Anvil
- King Soloman
- Chattanooga
- What else?

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:28 am

There isn't a guidebook. As for the areas you mentioned......its pretty easy to just park and any of the obvious pullouts and look for skin tracks. To be honest, I've been here a while ans ski quite a bit but I haven't bothered to learn the names of runs. It all seems pretty obvious once you get here. Avy danger is a little high right now but there is still stuff to do.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:31 pm

If you want a map for elevations and orientation pick up Trails Illustrated #141 for Telluride/Ouray/Silverton/Park City. It'll give you a basic idea of what you're getting into.

Also post something on the forums at Teton Gravity Research. All a bunch of powder whores over there and will probably have more information. :D

Return to Colorado