Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Snow level on Inyo and Keynot ??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Snow level on Inyo and Keynot ??

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm curious where the snow level is on those peaks right now. I looked for a weather cam pointing that way, but no luck. I realize the Sierra probably took the brunt of the snow, but I'm still guessing there may be a foot on the ridge.

We plan to go out there in a week. At least the water supply won't be as big a problem.

Snowline northwest of Vegas is currently around 8500'.

Thanks.
MoapaPk

Re: Snow level on Inyo and Keynot ??

Postby Daria » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm assuming that if there is any snow up there, it is not much. I was actually planning on doing a full Inyo range ridge traverse and would appreciate any beta, as well.

Also, does anyone has any info on white mountain, boundary, and montgomery snow levels?
I'm the top troll.
Daria

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Just saw the barcroft robocam:
http://63.198.242.102/

looks like maybe a foot at most at 12000'.
MoapaPk

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Blair

Postby Daria » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 am

1000Pks wrote:
Darija wrote:I'm assuming that if there is any snow up there, it is not much. I was actually planning on doing a full Inyo range ridge traverse and would appreciate any beta, as well.

Also, does anyone has any info on white mountain, boundary, and montgomery snow levels?

I've done the peaks and it is a nice backpack, or even doable in a day for you all. I think about 40 miles. The DPS had an account with photos on their home page a year ago, look into their archives. I'd start at Cerro Gordo and come out at Union Wash, a great scree run down from say Mt. Inyo. Best with a good vehicle though not really necessary. You can drive to Burgess Mine and leave out Pleasant, for a shorter hike. Hairy road, then. Some pix at PTP>Peaks Archives,>Desert Peaks.

By claiming that you've "done the peaks", which peaks are you referring to?

From what I can tell, there are the following peaks along the range:
1. Cerro Gordo peak (not DPS)
2. New York Butte (DPS)
3. Keynot Peak (DPS)
4. Mt. Inyo (DPS)
5. Waucoba Mt. (DPS)

6. Squaw Peak (non SPS)
7. Andrews Mt. (non SPS)

Any ones I'm missing?

To do the full Inyo range traverse from Cerro Gordo to (lets assume you go all the way to Death Valley Road, after dropping off of Andrews, its about 52.9 miles in a straight line. A daunting task indeed for dayhiking but it would qualify as a full Inyo traverse. This is assuming you set up a car shuttle. You could always hitchhike if you want to avoid car shuttle, but if doing solo, you would be screwed, you would HAVE to get a ride from random passerby's (dangerous, but doable). From Cerro Gordo to Waucoba and back down to Blue Bell Mine is 47.3 miles. If focusing just on the DPS peaks, the mileage is 37 miles from south to north.

I was told terrain may be problematic on the way to Waucoba. Is Mazourka Rd 4WD?
I'm the top troll.
Daria

The following user would like to thank Daria for this post
John Duffield

Postby mrchad9 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:35 am

Darija wrote:From what I can tell, there are the following peaks along the range:
1. Cerro Gordo peak (not DPS)
2. New York Butte (DPS)
3. Keynot Peak (DPS)
4. Mt. Inyo (DPS)
5. Waucoba Mt. (DPS)

6. Squaw Peak (non SPS)
7. Andrews Mt. (non SPS)

Any ones I'm missing?

I believe you are missing Pleasant Point. It's a DPS one as well. There are other peaks too, but I think those are the only named ones.
mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks guys, keep the info coming. I'm a bit of a wuss for soft snow amid broken rock, since spraining my ankle.

Speaking of ankles...

Darija -- nice work getting SAR into gunsight so quickly; that takes presence of mind. Also saw your name in NGA register -- takes some chutzpah to climb solo in Zion.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Zion bc office will not recommend anything that shows non-standard and principally off-trail routes. It's a liability issue, and you can understand why if you look at the accident record in Zion. We've had the same policy in Red Rock.

The most important aspects of Courtney's book, are 1) it tells you what is possible, and also points out the seemingly easy routes that are hard; 2) it gives pretty accurate difficulty grading, and time recommendations; 3) it gives access information (critical in Zion); 4) it gives hardware recommendations.

Now back to the topic -- keep those Inyo updates coming!
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:24 pm

NGA is about the simplest route in the book. Compare the descriptions in the DPS guide and Courtney's book for SGA, and you'll have a better idea what I mean.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 pm

All routes in the book were MLC SC-approved.
MoapaPk

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Day Hiker

Next

Return to California