Training for a Newbie

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
WyomingSummits

Re: Training for a Newbie

by WyomingSummits » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 pm

bird wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:I am sorry, but as a nearly lifelong East Coaster myself, I can't agree that the Tuckerman Ravine Trail is comparable to a big mountain. Altitude gain is not everything, otherwise you could climb the stairs of the Empire State Building 4 times and say it's the same thing as hiking Mt. Washington. While there are some similarities between the higher peaks in the northeast and bigger ranges (particularly when it comes to severe weather), overall it's just not the same. There are things such as glaciers, significant rockfall and icefall hazard, etc. that you fill simply not find in the Northeast, and no matter how many times you climb Mt. Washington, it's just no substitute for the real thing. I am not saying that one shouldn't use what they have out here to train and prepare in whatever way they can; I'm just saying that realizing that the bigger ranges ARE in fact more serious, committing, and pose a variety of challenges that are simply different, is a healthy attitude to have.

I didn't say or mean it was the same experience. I meant that from a pure physical training standpoint, 4,200 feet of gain with a pack will get you in pretty darn good shape, and let you evaluate your training. (Altitude is a different story, but for us east coasters...not much you can do.)

I agree. Vertical gain over a distance is one thing, but the west has that same vert gain and you're starting at 10k. You obviously can only train where it's available, so Mt Washington is your best bet. That being said, the Teton trip will be your best benchmark to test your performance at altitude. Mt Washington will help with fitness, but altitude is the great equalizer, and you need to know your ability to perform before flying across the ocean and hitting rotten rock and snow at 15k+. Your body just doesn't perform the same. That being said, plenty of flatlanders train hard and climb high, so as long as you train and eat well, and test your altitude performance, you should be fine.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training