Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby Vitaliy M. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 am

Next time call them "Tourons!" and tell them to ''Go back to the Deli or the Bay Area."

On the other hand MAYBE the easier pitch was led by a guy who is a weaker leader than one that will lead the 5.10pitches. I still have no idea why the hell does it take 2 hours to lead a pitch and make an anchor, even I do not take that long! I think people should consider others in line, and if there are people in line let the stronger leader climb the easier pitches too (just to be nice).
User Avatar
Vitaliy M.

 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 am
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Thanked: 287 times in 215 posts

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
WML

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby Deb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm

RickF wrote:
Tom Fralich wrote:P.S. Nice photo-shopped profile pic.


Thanks to Tom for calling out the Photo-shopped "Shreddin" pic. when I first saw the thumbnail I thought that something just doesn't look right. After reading Tom's reply, I opened the larger version of Epic's profile pic. Check it out for yourself. Notice there's no track behind the snowboard and he's in a pretty relaxed upright postion for being on avalanche debris in a 45 degree chute. Who's the troll calling trollz?

Yep! And his use of "gapers" is incorrect. A gaper would be WATCHING climbers climb.
Anyone remember 2ski1peak? As soon as I see a long row of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think we got him pegged. HA!
User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Location: Bishop, California, United States
Thanked: 168 times in 102 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby bobpickering » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Deb wrote:Wow, you're kind of a dick.


I agree with Deb. And you should learn to spell and write a coherent sentence before you clog up SP with a half-page rant.
User Avatar
bobpickering

 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:06 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 14 times in 9 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby fatdad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:06 pm

The ad hominem responses aside, there was merit in epic's post. The authenticity (or not) of his profile photo doesn't change that.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 83 times in 57 posts

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Vitaliy M., WML

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby WML » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:12 pm

While the OP didn't quite seem to be able to cogently put together their thoughts, it appears as though he isn't complaining about the amount of time the actual climbing took, it sounds more like the complaints are relative to efficiency on multi-pitch routes.

I've been caught behind parties which were safely and competently able to climb at the grade, yet their rope management, anchor building, and belay transitions were nearly as atrocious as those mentioned here.

Basically, you should learn to properly manage a rope and move quickly if you are getting on multi-pitch classics, especially at a grade where generally these kinds of skills are considered a prerequisite.

Whatever happened to having your shit together before you left the ground? While everyone has just as much of a right to the rock as the next person, ruining the experience for someone else due to your own incompetence and inability to swallow your pride and realize you are not ready for the style of route (for these folks multi-pitch), is plain rude and can cause, among other things, epics, unplanned bivys, and lots of headaches. That also qualifies as, "being a dick" in my book.
User Avatar
WML

 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 am
Location: The Edge of the Electric Ocean Beneath Red Rock, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 19 times in 15 posts

The following user would like to thank WML for this post
Vitaliy M.

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby x15x15 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:25 pm

WML wrote:Whatever happened to having your shit together before you left the ground? While everyone has just as much of a right to the rock as the next person, ruining the experience for someone else due to your own incompetence and inability to swallow your pride and realize you are not ready for the style of route (for these folks multi-pitch), is plain rude and can cause, among other things, epics, unplanned bivys, and lots of headaches. That also qualifies as, "being a dick" in my book.


you hit it dead on! but peak baggers and hikers will never get it... and a few climbers with that 1st grade mentality, "i was first, nananananananana!"
User Avatar
x15x15

 
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:48 pm
Thanked: 23 times in 16 posts

The following user would like to thank x15x15 for this post
WML

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby rpc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 pm

I’ve been on the receiving end of another party’s slowness more than once. I’m sure I’ve also been the culprit more than I realize (though I try my best to let fast parties pass as painlessly as possible). It strikes me as bad form (& pointless) to bring such stuff up on the web. Unless they were purposely endangering you or other parties, just let it go, no? Why the fuss?
User Avatar
rpc

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:06 am
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 16 times in 10 posts

The following user would like to thank rpc for this post
96avs01, anita

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby fatdad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm

rpc wrote:I’ve been on the receiving end of another party’s slowness more than once. I’m sure I’ve also been the culprit more than I realize (though I try my best to let fast parties pass as painlessly as possible). It strikes me as bad form (& pointless) to bring such stuff up on the web. Unless they were purposely endangering you or other parties, just let it go, no? Why the fuss?

I agree with the notion that posts like this can come across like a rant (which epic specifically admitted upfront), but I do believe they have some value. More and more folks are getting their information from sites like this. Often, you have people who ask for advice before even consulting a guidebook, which is either lazy or naive or both.

Often when folks like the trollz are confronted, they'll say something like 'you're just being rude; why don't you try to educate people rather than diss them.' These type of posts are increasingly becoming that form of education. So while many of us don't need posts like this to learn proper etiquette, to the extent that even one or two people come away from them with a better understanding of the issue, I believe these posts/threads are worth having.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 83 times in 57 posts

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Vitaliy M.

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby Vitaliy M. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:56 pm

fatdad wrote:
rpc wrote:I’ve been on the receiving end of another party’s slowness more than once. I’m sure I’ve also been the culprit more than I realize (though I try my best to let fast parties pass as painlessly as possible). It strikes me as bad form (& pointless) to bring such stuff up on the web. Unless they were purposely endangering you or other parties, just let it go, no? Why the fuss?

I agree with the notion that posts like this can come across like a rant (which epic specifically admitted upfront), but I do believe they have some value. More and more folks are getting their information from sites like this. Often, you have people who ask for advice before even consulting a guidebook, which is either lazy or naive or both.

Often when folks like the trollz are confronted, they'll say something like 'you're just being rude; why don't you try to educate people rather than diss them.' These type of posts are increasingly becoming that form of education. So while many of us don't need posts like this to learn proper etiquette, to the extent that even one or two people come away from them with a better understanding of the issue, I believe these posts/threads are worth having.


I agree. If it helps some people understand (if they didn't before) some things about climbing a popular route, than this thread makes a positive contribution. In general I believe talking about these things (online or not) and seeing what other people think (especially way they think) is helpful for educating us all, may help us understand why certain people think a certain way. This forum is here for us to come together and talk about things. A lot better to talk about this than to have '11000' thread, or whatever the hell it was back in the day.
User Avatar
Vitaliy M.

 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 am
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Thanked: 287 times in 215 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby RickF » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:21 am

O.K., I got my dig in at the OP and then checked back in and now I'm coming around to the merit of this thread. Being a peakbagger or summit-slogger (or what ever more demeaning terms the rock & ice purists have for us) I do have to don the harness and rope up occasionally for those non-walk-up peaks. So, if I'm with a partner on a route that ascends a peak, and there are sections of fifth class multi-pitch, and we're aware that there's a party below us, what is the concensus for a reasonably acceptable time to transition belays between pitches?

In my opinion, If there's enough room at the belay ledge the nice gesture would be to do like golfers and let the faster moving party "play-through". (no, I don't acutally play golf). Granted, on a lot of routes their aren't a lot options to get around the higher party.
User Avatar
RickF

 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:45 pm
Location: Temecula, California, United States
Thanked: 28 times in 24 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby CSUMarmot » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:29 am

That pic is shopped, I can tell by the pixels.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Loveland, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby Tom Kenney » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:41 am

Now, I usually try to stay out of this kind of thread, but...

The dude is bitching and whining like that was the only climbable piece of stone within 500 miles. What if these 'gumbies' had driven more than 500 miles for their first trip to Yose, and were really just enjoying a fine day out on the stone? Not everybody picks up a rope so they can go try to be like Hans!!! If you didn't buy a ticket, then NOBODY OWES YOU A GODDAMN THING!
User Avatar
Tom Kenney

 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:12 pm
Location: Woodland Hills, California, United States
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

The following user would like to thank Tom Kenney for this post
butitsadryheat, DukeJH

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:46 pm

epicclimb wrote:rant warning!

what is up with the trollz in tuolumne taking 45 minutes at belay changeovers????

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....


Don't like the wait? Then go find another route and shut up.
User Avatar
Sierra Ledge Rat

 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Appalachia, United States
Thanked: 239 times in 156 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby CSUMarmot » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 pm

CSUMarmot wrote:That pic is shopped, I can tell by the pixels.

And I've seen quite a few shops in my time.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Loveland, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

Re: Tuolumne Trollz!!!

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:10 am

--

The OP might have just cut to the chase and said: if it takes you and your party hours to climb a single pitch...then you oughta instead be doing a route that you can climb much more efficiently...rather than creating a giant logjam on a popular route.

Most people would agree with that logic...but the "ranting tone" of the OP created a lot of inflammatory feedback, though in essence he was CORRECT.

What's equally bad is when similar gumbies set up a half-day toprope on a challenging lead...and some guy comes along who is psyched and ready to do that lead...and he finds this giant clusterf-ck of fumbling, hangdogging goofballs clogging up and getting hand grease all over the route he was primed to lead. And they intend to spend the rest of the afternoon right there, what with their picnic lunches and whatnot set up right at the base of the route....

urggggghhhhh.

Image

-
User Avatar
jesu, joy of man's desiring

 
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 pm
Thanked: 441 times in 328 posts

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.