Two months of ice climbing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
TomtenVoorde

Two months of ice climbing

by TomtenVoorde » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am

Since I got laid off, my brother and I figured this was the perfect time to go ice / mixed climbing for two months (jan/feb). So I borrowed my girls' campervan and off we go.

The idea is to start in the Ecrins (hopefully, depending on conitions) and travel through Italy, Switserland and Austria. No real plans, just see where we will end up.

As proper bums, we are thinking about just parking the van somewhere and sleep in it. Since we haven't done this before, I was wondering if anyone has any experiences doing this? Is it possible, or is it absolutely sure we will get a fine or something?

Since we've picked the Ecrins as a start, does anyone know of a good topo of the area? Preferably both ice and mixed.

Furthermore, we are lookin for some good places to go, any suggestions?

Damien Gildea

Re: Two months of ice climbing

by Damien Gildea » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:26 am

In that area I have only climbed at Cogne and LaGrave. Both are very good, Cogne has a really easy accessible concentration of climbs, LaGrave is a little more scattered. They are most reliable in January, sometimes by mid-February they are too melted out. Cogne gets very popular with British climbers too.

In a really (really) cold winter the climbs along the road to LaGrave would be some of the best in the world, but they rarely form. I found the problem with LaGrave was that many climbs were not in condition, so everybody crowded on to the few that were - Coliere due Ciel, Le Pylon etc - and it could get pretty crazy.

In both places I have not seen people sleeping in campers, but I think you could get away with it. In Cogne there was a bar where climbers went, it might have even had a route book?

Kanderstegg is also meant to be very good, but I have not been there.

TomtenVoorde

by TomtenVoorde » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply.

We've travelled through Kandersteg last year and it defenately is on our wishlist. Although Switserland tends to be quite expensive, we will try to stay there for a while as well.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:57 am

Check out this website: www.expeditionportal.com . Lots of good information there and like minded people when it comes to living in your camper.

TomtenVoorde

by TomtenVoorde » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks Jerry, I will post the question over there as well!

If anyone has any tips about a good ice/mixed topo of the Ecrins...that would be really helpfull.

Return to Europe