UC Berkeley bancroft library- peak register archive

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoabPeakBagger

UC Berkeley bancroft library- peak register archive

by MoabPeakBagger » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:44 am

I took a visit to the UC Berkeley Bancroft Library archives the other day to take a look at old peak registers that have been archived there. This is so much fun! I saw the note from the first ascent of Mt. Goddard in 1876, and from the early ascents of Tyndall in the late 1800's. Very cool!

I'm going to pull a bunch of the boxes of archives next week, probably Wednesday afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up to check these incredible archives out, I'll be there all afternoon.

johnm

by johnm » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:08 am

Have fun, I was there on the 28th visiting my son at school and had the same thing in mind. I arrived later in the afternoon and they wouldn't pull anything so close to closing. So I'll give it a shot some other time.

If anybody else is thinking of doing the same the library is now closed Saturdays until the state budget mess gets better.

simonov

by simonov » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:03 pm

"peak register archive"

Until I read your post, I thought this was about the world running out of register archives.

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:04 pm

bump! I'm going this afternoon (Monday, October 12th). If anyone wants to join me in Berkeley, email me DonnellyPA at gmail dot com or call me 760.819.1148 . Dorkin' out on historic summit registers for an afternoon- fun!

Return to California