Very Basic GPS

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Autoxfil

Very Basic GPS

by Autoxfil » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:23 pm

I know there are a ton of threads on this, and I'm sorting through them - but this is an oddball question, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I don't own/use a GPS at the moment, so I'm out of the loop.

My father in law is looking for a GPS for work purposes. He is not tech-savvy, and needs a very simple interface. The requirements are:

1) Very easy to use. The fewer features the better.
2) Easy waypoint logging and route tracking, with ability to import data to a PC in a broadly-readable format. No proprietary data formats!
3) Big screen that works well in bright light or dark.

Is there a big difference in what maps these come with? He needs decent topo maps, but I'd imagine that whatever they come with is fine.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:49 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... =basic+gps

Most of the older units had a serial computer link; don't get them if you have no serial ports. Newer units have a usb link. What computer OS?

Most 3rd-party software can be configured to read almost any type of gps. Once the software downloads the points, you can usually save them in a variety of formats -- gpx or Maptech txf, etc. Garmin MapSource can save in garmin gdb format, or gpx; but so many programs can convert and read gdb, that the maker-dependence of the format is usually irrelevant.

The DeLorme gps units often come with a lot of topo/aerial map formats. In principle, you have to buy vector-based maps separately for Garmins, but compatible maps are freely available on the web for many states. Most garmins came with a basemap (low detail) only.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 pm

I have a DeLorme and it is very simple and intuitive to use and came with mapping software. I have had not problem importing GPX point and route files either.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 pm

I've used the garmin 60c series since January 2004. I bought a 60csx in 2006, lost it, and bought another last summer.

Downside: this product line is nearing the end of its cycle. But then I haven't seen many improvements coming down the road, except more memory, longer allowed tracks for uploads, faster processors, etc. The GPS chipset was made more sensitive in 2006, but you will still get loss of signal in deep canyons; that's more a function of the fraction of sky subtended, the limited # of GPS satellites, and the requirement of at least 4 good satellites (not near colinear, which happens in canyons) for a full fix.

Return to Gear