Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Video from Pennsylvania's highest point

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby tioga » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

My comment was more towards the guy scoffing at California's mountains. I can't imagine he would have anything bad to say watching sunrise in front of Temple Crag @ 3rd lake.

I can actually understand the sentiment of having more appreciation for the PA mountains than the mountains in CA (or anywhere else). I grew up on the Allegheny Plateau in PA and that is where I fell in love with the outdoors, so that is where my favorite spots are at. So, I guess if you really love the eastern mountains and don't care to be anywhere else, you may just scoff at CA mountains. But there is still an awe factor that comes in to play in CA, BC, or elsewhere throughout the western US/Canadian mountains that can't be ignored. They certainly are impressive to us eastcoasters (most of us). (Not sure what the word 'eastcoasters' is, but maybe something that you put your coffee mug on, but only on the east side of the coffee table.)
tioga

Postby James_W » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm

tioga wrote:They certainly are impressive to us eastcoasters (most of us). (Not sure what the word 'eastcoasters' is, but maybe something that you put your coffee mug on, but only on the east side of the coffee table.)

I say I am from the east coast here, does growing up on a great lake count?
James_W

Postby tioga » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:31 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:They certainly are impressive to us eastcoasters (most of us). (Not sure what the word 'eastcoasters' is, but maybe something that you put your coffee mug on, but only on the east side of the coffee table.)

I assume anyone who is from Ohio and eastward is from the east coast. Where I grew, I was closer to the Great Lakes than I was to the coast too. Which lake did you grow up near?
tioga

Postby Alpinist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:12 pm

James_W wrote:

That makes you a Great Laker, which is completely confusing since most Lakers live in S.Cal.
Alpinist

Postby James_W » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:14 pm

tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

I assume anyone who is from Ohio and eastward is from the east coast. Where I grew, I was closer to the Great Lakes than I was to the coast too. Which lake did you grow up near?

Grew up in Kingston on Lake Ontario (great sailing)
James_W

Postby tioga » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

Kingston, Ontario; I would consider that a part of the east coast, even though it is close to the Great Lakes. It doesn't really fit into that Great Lake area.
tioga

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:14 am

When I lived in Upstate NY, I was 300 miles from the nearest ocean. If I lived on the coast back then, then I must now, when I live in Las Vegas (the west coast is actually closer now).
MoapaPk

Postby mrchad9 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:18 am

Expats I work with are amused that Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc... are so called 'mid-west' here.
mrchad9

Postby James_W » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:32 am

tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

Kingston, Ontario; I would consider that a part of the east coast, even though it is close to the Great Lakes. It doesn't really fit into that Great Lake area.

Close? it is right on Lake Ontario.
James_W

Postby tioga » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:33 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

Close? it is right on Lake Ontario.

Yeah, I'm just saying that it doesn't fit the feel of the Great Lake region. To me, upstate New York and the Toronto area just don't seen like the Great Lake region. They seem more like the east coast.
tioga

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Pahrump: typical west-coast town.
MoapaPk

Postby James_W » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:40 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Pahrump: typical west-coast town.

I just googled Pahrump and found Over the Hump to the Brothels in Pahrump.
James_W

Postby xDoogiex » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:21 am

I met Alpinist on top of the deadly mt. Davis. It was raining and cloudy and I couldn't see anything.

I went from east coast to mid west :(
xDoogiex

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:44 am

redneck wrote:3,213 feet? We have a mountain nearly twice as tall as that right here in Orange County, CA.

Ironic, then, how my Pennsylvanian uncle once came here and scoffed at California's mountains. I wonder what he was thinking.

When I went to middle school in New England for a brief period, the geography teacher informed us that the East was mountainous and the West was basically flat.

When I questioned his statements, he clarified that he was referring to the midwest. He stated that there was need to concern ourselves with the western USA in a geography class because there was nothing out there that was worth talking about...

Nonetheless, the eastern mountains are spectacular in their own way. I can look out from a high point and see row after row of rolling green mountains all the way out to the horizon, and there's not a single road or house in view.

God I love West Virginia. Parts of Pennsylvania are pretty spectacular too.

BTW, we call this region "West Pennsyltucky." :D
Sierra Ledge Rat

PreviousNext

Return to General