How are the bugs in Maine?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Brian Jenkins

How are the bugs in Maine?

by Brian Jenkins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Getting ready to travel to the NE for my semi-annual trip and coming a bit earlier in the year than usual. Just wondering how bad the bugs are in Maine (trying to do as many 4000ers there as possible this trip) right now. They are pretty bad this time of year in the west so I am assuming worse in Maine. Am I in danger of having my blood all sucked out and my bones carried away by skeets and flies in the next 2 weeks or will they start dying off soon? Thanks!

Brian Jenkins

Re: How are the bugs in Maine?

by Brian Jenkins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Will be in the same area at that time too. Hope to see you on a trail. Good luck with the last 3!

stoaX

by stoaX » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 am

I've hiked Baxter State Park in late June and in September - mosquitos were a problem both times. The black fly activity was a bit less in September than June.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Nice job, Puma. We got about half of the Maine 4000ers and some others. Bugs were only mildly annoying a couple times. Think I used some Deet only once or twice in the week. Must have hit it when the die-off began. Now, if only we can do something about that humidity.... ;-)

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)