Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Chicago Basin Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Chicago Basin Question

Postby birdhead » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:31 am

Looking for opinions on the following itinerary from folks who know the area and the logistics of riding the narrow gauge railroad to the Needleton trailhead:

Is it a reasonable itinerary to climb at least two of either Eolus, Windom, or Sunlight on a one night backpacking trip? I would ride the train from Durango to the Needleton stop on Friday and head up the trail, possibly climbing one peak that afternoon/evening if the whether is good. In the morning I would climb another one or two and head out to try and catch the train. Has anybody done something similar that can comment? Looks like I should group Sunlight and Windom together. What little I have found seems to show that the train drops off at Needleton around 11:30 am and picks up from Needleton around 3:30 pm. Can anybody verify this? The schedule is not currently on the train website.
birdhead

Re: Chicago Basin Question

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Is it a reasonable itinerary to climb at least two of either Eolus, Windom, or Sunlight on a one night backpacking trip?

It depends on who you are. Several people have done it. One of my climbing partners has done all three from the highway on a one night trip. Some have even done all three peaks round trip from Needleton in one day.

That said, I probably wouldn't want to do it, but it can be done. Windom and Sunlight might be reasonable for a one nighter, but day 2 will be a long one.
Scott

Re: Chicago Basin Question

Postby Wiktoria Plawska » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 am

Sure it would be fine,
although just being there for a longer period of time is more rewarding, especially if you already went through all of the trouble going on the train
I stayed there for two nights and climbed the surrounding peaks at a very comfortable pace and was able to enjoy the herds of mountain goats among other things.
Even Sunlight is fairly easy and besides the uppermost part, but it is such a beautiful hike that the time goes by quickly, so you should be able to do it.
Wiktoria Plawska

Return to Colorado