Hiking Quebec

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
John3v3

Hiking Quebec

by John3v3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 am

Can anyone recommend good places for hiking in North Quebec? I would like to do trails where I can camp along the trail... I would like to be 3 to 4 days out.

DK

Re: Hiking Quebec

by DK » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:20 am

hi there! I promise not to talk about turbo-chargers :P

The Laurentians around Mt Tremblant (i.e. Tremblant ski resort) have some nice hiking. There is even a Via Ferrata in Mt Tremblant Park.

Otherwise, there's great hiking on the Gaspe peninsula (Chic Choc mountains).. there's one or two 4000 footers out there. The Gaspe is northeast of Maine.. the peninsula that sticks out into the St Lawrence/Atlantic.

Also I've heard of Monts Groulx.. located 600 miles northeast of Quebec city.. they're around 3000 feet tall but there's snow up there even in June because it's arctic tundra. They're somewhere near Manicouagan reservoir, which is an ancient meteor impact site!

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 am

To disagree with DK a bit, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Chic Chocs. Mont Jacques Cartier might be the most disappointing summit I've ever reached. But otherwise I'm sure there's good stuff. Go to "Off Route" in the forums, find "Anita", and send her a message.

Luc

by Luc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 am

If you want to reach Anita, you can send her an email through her profile page http://www.summitpost.org/users/anita/55261 or send me a pm.
She's not checking her PM's on summitpost.

The following user would like to thank Luc for this post
John Duffield

no avatar
LaChaise

by LaChaise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 am

Below are the long distance trails in Québec I can think of at the moment:

Sentier le Fjord 47km + Sentier de la Plage 6km (a natural add on mostly outside the provincial park)
Sentier la Longue Randonee Tremblant 75km
Sentier le Laurentian 75km (closed since 2012)
Sentier Haut Saint-Maurice 47km
Sentier des Caps de Charlevoix 50km
Sentier la Traversee de Charlevoix 105km
Sentier la Traversee des Chic-Choc 110km (includes many mountains over 1000m)
Sentier la Traversee de la reserve Matane 100km (includes 1 mountain over 1000m)
Sentier du Lac Kenogami 47km
Sentier la Traversee des Monts Groulx 50km (includes many mountains over 1000m)

If you are looking to summit mountains there are a few places:

Appalachian Mountains: In easter township,few mountains over 1000m, Mégantic Provincial Park has a nice easy 15km trail with 3 summits over 1000m. Mount Gosford is another easily accesible one.

Laurantian Mountains: Most peaks over 1000m are just north of Québec City and have no developed trails. One exception is l Acropole des draveur 1040m which offer spectacular views on a easy linear 5km trail in a provincial park.

Chic-Choc Mountains: In Gaspe peninsula. see traverse above.

Monts Groulx: Very remote, see traverse above.

Mont Otis: Very isolated in northern Québec, almost impossible to access.

Monts Torngats: Northern Québec, highest mountains in the province, Access by plane.

The following user would like to thank LaChaise for this post
marving

no avatar
mejiaufv

by mejiaufv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:38 pm

I've done the Sentier de la Treversee de Charlevoix and I can tell you that it is a fantastic journey.

no avatar
marving

by marving » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:34 pm

LaChaise wrote:Below are the long distance trails in Québec I can think of at the moment:

Sentier le Fjord 47km + Sentier de la Plage 6km (a natural add on mostly outside the provincial park)
Sentier la Longue Randonee Tremblant 75km
Sentier le Laurentian 75km (closed since 2012)
Sentier Haut Saint-Maurice 47km
Sentier des Caps de Charlevoix 50km
Sentier la Traversee de Charlevoix 105km
Sentier la Traversee des Chic-Choc 110km (includes many mountains over 1000m)
Sentier la Traversee de la reserve Matane 100km (includes 1 mountain over 1000m)
Sentier du Lac Kenogami 47km
Sentier la Traversee des Monts Groulx 50km (includes many mountains over 1000m)

If you are looking to summit mountains there are a few places:

Appalachian Mountains: In easter township,few mountains over 1000m, Mégantic Provincial Park has a nice easy 15km trail with 3 summits over 1000m. Mount Gosford is another easily accesible one.

Laurantian Mountains: Most peaks over 1000m are just north of Québec City and have no developed trails. One exception is l Acropole des draveur 1040m which offer spectacular views on a easy linear 5km trail in a provincial park.

Chic-Choc Mountains: In Gaspe peninsula. see traverse above.

Monts Groulx: Very remote, see traverse above.

Mont Otis: Very isolated in northern Québec, almost impossible to access.

Monts Torngats: Northern Québec, highest mountains in the province, Access by plane.

Wow that is awesome, have you done them all? I've done the presidential traverse in New Hampshire as a two day hike, staying overnight at Lake of the Clouds hut.. out of all the hikes you listed above (except the faraway Otis, Torngats, etc) which would be the best experience and most impressive views?

Do any of these have huts or are they all backpacking trips?

Return to Canada and Alaska