Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Santa Fe Baldy conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Re: Santa Fe Baldy conditions

Postby Jarpup » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Not sure about boot or ski tracks (I suspect boot tracks after the initial couple miles of the Winsor trail). There's a decent snow base (currently 37 inches next door at the ski basin), though the top of Baldy looked pretty wind blown and bare up high (flew over it a couple days ago).
Jarpup

Postby jfrishmanIII » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 am

Clark, I once snowshoed out the Windsor over VERY deep snow, and still found a wind-scoured ridge above treeline. Unless you catch it right after a storm, that's usually how it goes. If you want, I can give you a visual evaluation from town in a couple days, I'm hitting the road for a visit tomorrow.
jfrishmanIII

Postby jfrishmanIII » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Well, from town it looks like Baldy is largely bare, though with a big streak of snow somewhere along the south ridge from Puerto Nambe area. So I suppose there might conceivably be some possibility of showshoeing close to the summit. However, I'd be kind of amazed if that snow streak isn't wind-blown and rock hard.
jfrishmanIII

Postby swbackcountry » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Clark, you're right. The start of the trail is snow free. I skied up there yesterday, the snow is becoming spring-like: crusty on top, bottomless sugar beneath. Hikers are postholing a trail for you now, several were up there yesterday and friday, and theirs (and others) tracks should firm up over the next few weeks. A boot pack exists nearly to the ridge. Just keep an eye out for warm temps, and you could, likely, hike early in the day on supportable crust. Give it a few weeks to consolidate along the trail. But know that locals are heading up there nearly daily, packing out the trail for you.
swbackcountry

Postby slower-poke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Does anyone know that conditions on the mountain now? Snow last night? I'm thinking of a hike up for Easter.
Thanks!
slower-poke

Postby jdzaharia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 pm

I also wouldn't mind hearing a conditions update if anybody could provide one.

Santa Fe Baldy, or other peaks in the Pecos Wilderness.
jdzaharia

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)