Camp on New Army Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
yang

Camp on New Army Pass

by yang » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:56 am

Hi everyone,

I am going to hike to Mount Langley at this coming weekend. As a photographer, I want to take some sunrise and sunset photos on top of New Army Pass. I am thinking to camp on top of New Army Pass and summit on second day. As this will be my first time there, I am wondering what condition I would encounter.

I know there is no water up there. So I am going to take water from the lake under the pass. I assume it would be flat enough there to pitch the tent. Will it be very windy? Cold? What about marmot? Is it possible it chew up my tent?

Thanks,
Yang

colinr

Re: Camp on New Army Pass

by colinr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 pm

yang wrote:Hi everyone,

I am going to hike to Mount Langley at this coming weekend. As a photographer, I want to take some sunrise and sunset photos on top of New Army Pass. I am thinking to camp on top of New Army Pass and summit on second day. As this will be my first time there, I am wondering what condition I would encounter.

I know there is no water up there. So I am going to take water from the lake under the pass. I assume it would be flat enough there to pitch the tent. Will it be very windy? Cold? What about marmot? Is it possible it chew up my tent?

Thanks,
Yang

Hi Yang! I'm curious if you've hiked/camped/slept above 10,000 feet before? 11,000? 12,000? 13,000? 14,000? Do you have knowledge/experience regarding AMS/HACE/HAPE? Maybe you have this in mind, but I'd suggest spending your first night in the campground at Horseshoe Meadow/Cottonwood TH(s) for acclimitization purposes. If well rested, get up before dawn and head out on a photo shoot. Camp at the lakes below New Army Pass and/or below Old Army Pass taking photos under various conditions with easy access to plentiful water to ward off dehydration. Plus then you will have easier access to shelter from wind, lightning, and rain that may be significant this weekend. Sure, you can pitch a tent up on the ridge somewhere and find/build some shelter from the forecasted south winds, but if lightning strikes, the ridge is not an ideal location to camp and is far to retreat to forest, campground, car, or home. I've never been on New Army, but have been up Old Army nearby twice, and another trip visited lakes near New Army as well as the highest Cottonwood Lakes northeast of Old Army. You can find good subjects at the lakes and it is not a long walk up to the tops of the passes if acclimated, in fair shape, and up at dawn. Getting to the actual summit from the passes may take some time (2-4 hours), but acclimitization from camping should help.

Although conditions may make for interesting photography, forecasted thunderstorms would be scaring me off from this weekend barring significant improvement in % chance at a given point of storms down to about 10%-maybe 20% if feeling brave. Still, I would want quick access to forest or car without 0% chance of lightning and strong winds. Keep an eye on these forecasts for changes:

Summit area:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.5232685740005&lon=-118.23897742099967&site=all&smap=1#.U9fK2inn_qA

Passes and lakes area:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-118.24533&lat=36.49388#.U9fLtSnn-BY

Details from a guy farther north:
http://mammothweather.com/2014/07/26/monsoon-iii-to-make-appearence-by-tonight-with-lots-of-mid-level-cloudiness-moistening-to-continue-through-monday-with-best-chance-of-thunderstorms-during-monday-pm-upper-flow-to-become-sou/

Do you know how to most likely survive a lightning storm?

I was up there last week. Thunderstorms happened to be worse farther north at the time. Sunny for me! I think the marmots were more plentiful and aggressive up high on the ridge, passes, and peak than down at the lakes. They like food and salt. Do you sweat much on your gear? I did see a bighorn sheep standing atop Old Army as I ascended from Cottonwood Lakes, but was using a smartphone camera with no zoom. Looks like a dot in my photos. :D
Last edited by colinr on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Yes it could be cold and windy... depends on the weather! But I've camped in spots like that many times... usually don't bother when there is no water though.

Marmots are not a worry really. They won't bother your tent. Hang your food in a plastic grocery back on the side of a large boulder high enough off the ground so marmots and mice can't access it and you are good to go.

ROL

by ROL » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:18 pm

It is very flat on the huge crest plateau – sand and rock. Marmots prefer to dine on neoprene and rubber, not nylon. Just don't leave food around. If it's 100ºF in the valley it is unlikely to freeze at that 12,000+' elevation, Unless a front is coming in, the wind will likely drop as the sun sets. As bivouacs go, it is probably the easiest imaginable. If you continue down to Rock Creek, you will come across its incipient beginnings, where water may still be available, within a half mile or so. That might be better camping, and you could walk back to the pass in short order in the morning.

BTW, everybody is a photographer. :P

colinr

by colinr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 am

Yeah, mrchad9 and ROL know what they are talking about, and Yang is a bit of an unknown, but I think some points are worth repeating barring an improvement in weather forecasts and monsoonal conditions coming from the south. Lightning can kill, permanently damage you, or require rescue, and being up on the highest area without forest to take cover in is not ideal. AMS can kill, permanently damage you, or require rescue. It won't be a winter blizzard, but cold and wet if not properly equipped can be extremely uncomfortable. Marmots would be the last concern I would have, but I'd probably snap some photos to pass the time if things turned miserable.

Anyway, it will likely be close to ideal up there, but be aware that it may not, and your knowledge and experience could prevent rescue, injury, or death.

Have fun! By the way, Yang, look up posts by David Senesac on here or SSSDave on HighSierraTopix forums for good tips on photographing the best scenery in the Sierra. Langley would not be my first choice, but there is potential there.

no avatar
yang

by yang » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 am

Hi Sean,

Thanks again. I will definitely check the weather before I start the hike. You guys made me feel a lot more confident now :)

For some reason my post got delayed. I guess because I am new it needs approval.

Happy hiking!

Yang

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:08 pm

For weather forecasting, Howard Sheckter at http://mammothweather.com/ is my go-to site when it comes to planning trips in Sequoia or Kings. Even though his home base is Mammoth, his forecasting often includes the mountainous terrain to the east of 395 south of Mammoth. His accuracy is often better than other sites I've tried... I like his writing style, too.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:52 pm

peninsula wrote:For weather forecasting, Howard Sheckter at http://mammothweather.com/ is my go-to site when it comes to planning trips in Sequoia or Kings. Even though his home base is Mammoth, his forecasting often includes the mountainous terrain to the east of 395 south of Mammoth. His accuracy is often better than other sites I've tried... I like his writing style, too.

Ha! I was glad to finally stumble across his site a couple of years ago. He helps bridge the gap between novice weather checking and full blown weather dweeb analysis. Yeah, when I was checking this morning I was thinking the forecast sounded somewhat more on the dull side in a good way. I'm considering heading up high this weekend, but keeping eyes and ears tuned to the sky and double checking that my waterproof layers are packed. I don't like that Howard is noting a possible return of monsoonal conditions looking ahead. Maybe it will pass or simply make for entertainment by the time I have time for a week up high again.

no avatar
yang

by yang » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:44 am

Hi SeanReedy, mrchad9, ROL and peninsula,

It looks like some of my posts never showed up in the forum for no reason. I was told by the admin that I had go through the approval process because I am new...

I want to thank you all for the help. This is my first question in the forum. I did not expect to get answers so quickly. You guys are awesome!

Sean - I have camped above 12000 feet many times and had been on 14000. I should be fine with the altitude. Lightning is something I missed. Thanks for bringing it up. I will check the weather more (and everything you mentioned to check :)).

mrchad9 - You mentioned hanging food. Is bear canister required in this area? It would be nice if I do not have to carry that.

It looks like won't be able to make the trip at this weekend but I report back after I make it.

Happy Hiking!

Yang

colinr

by colinr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:41 am

Hi Yang, yeah there was a delay, but we probably have seen your posts if we have been on SP. This site is less active than it used to be. HighSierraTopix is more active, especially when it comes to forum discussions, but this site is still great for peakbagging worldwide, particularly the Sierra.

As far as AMS, dehydration, and lightning, I was simply playing it safe and not assuming you are experienced. There has been a lot of major thunderstorm/lightning/flash flood activity this summer and I have experienced some of it first hand. Besides that, there are constantly preventable rescues/deaths/bad experiences due to altitude/AMS and/or dehydration.

Also, be aware of potential wildfire smoke if you venture farther north or check inciweb/HighSierraTopix/etc. for any new fires and the smoke direction if you do get out. Smoke can make great areas become miserable, or can be horrible for photography.

Do not worry about bears, but do stay legal and safe by checking for bear cannister requirement areas before heading out into the Sierra overnight, particularly in National Parks (SEKI/Yosemite) and highly traveled areas. http://www.sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

Danger/problems from animals is the last thing I worry about, but it is wise to be educated about avoiding animal issues and also regarding Leave No Trace.

By the way, photographing animals, even as common as marmots, scores big on SP. :lol:

Smoke/Fire Updates: http://highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10963&start=24

Return to California