"Artist" tagging rock in national parks

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
JHH60

"Artist" tagging rock in national parks

by JHH60 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm

A young woman from New York going by the internet handle "creepytings" and real name Casey Nocket recently took an extended trip to Western national parks including Yosemite, Joshua Tree ,Crater Lake, Zion, Canyonlands and possibly other parks, tagged the rock with her "art", and posted photos of herself doing it on the internet. She did it in acrylic so it will be hard to remove. The story broke here

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/

and there's a thread about it on supertopo. The alleged artist/vandal has responded to internet criticism by claiming it was somehow a feminist act and that her critics are "mansplaining" to her.

If you feel the way I do about narcissistic people vandalizing beautiful rock in national parks, consider signing a petition on whitehouse.gov asking that the perpetrator be prosecuted and not just be given a slap on the wrist.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/press-charges-casey-nocket-finesmax-community-servicejail-timeetc-httpgooglhy4yqj-defacing-np-nm/1y8xJBGm

MoapaPk

Re: "Artist" tagging rock in national parks

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Interesting. I followed links from the first article, and came to this:

"People mark trees with axes to help define a trail and build rock cairns. If the hikers are marking undefined trails, then changing the landscape or damaging trees to mark trails is problematic in two ways. The hikers shouldn't be concentrating use along specific trails that aren't marked, because this could damage foliage, natural resources or protected areas. And by stacking the rocks, the visitors are altering and endangering the landscape."

There seems to be an ill-defined range. I guess I wouldn't put graffiti in the same bucket as building a cairn. I agree one shouldn't cut blazes on trees, but somehow that seems more permanent than building a cairn.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 pm

JHH60 wrote:The alleged artist/vandal has responded to internet criticism by claiming it was somehow a feminist act and that her critics are "mansplaining" to her.

well, since she put it that way, if i'm gonna get labelled with the misogynist tag regardless, then i think i'm just gonna take the opportunity to punch the bitch in the face for being such a moron.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

The following user would like to thank brichardsson for this post
Buz Groshong

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Vandalism as "art" in national parks

by Bob Sihler » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:05 pm

"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Matt Lemke

Re: Vandalism as "art" in national parks

by Matt Lemke » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 pm

I was reading about this earlier today...hopefully she is caught, fined like $100,000 and forced to clean it all up while a pack of rangers surround her with whips

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 pm

I started another thread on this earlier today.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=68459

Note that there's a petition to throw the book at the "artist" on whitehouse.gov - if you feel the way I do about this, please check it out and sign.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Just to play the Devil's advocate, what is the difference between this and petroglyphs or cave paintings created a long time ago?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:Just to play the Devil's advocate, what is the difference between this and petroglyphs or cave paintings created a long time ago?

The person (Casey Schreiner) who first broke this story, and whose blog I linked to in a separate post on summitpost earlier, discusses that specific topic here:

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/23/why-the-creepytings-national-parks-vandalism-is-a-big-deal/

Another thing I might add is that there are 290+ million more people in North America now than when most petroglyphs were painted. Meanwhile the unspoiled spaces in North America have not grown more abundant, so there are a many times more people sharing limited natural resources. Imagine if everyone who felt inspired to tag the rocks at national parks were allowed to do so.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
Bob Sihler

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 am

as i said in the other thread, if i'm gonna be labeled as a misogynist no matter what i say, i at least want to get in a free shot to her mouth. this girl is an oxygen thief. the fact that she immediately removed all the posts giving evidence to her activity proves that she absolutely knew what she was doing was wrong, despite her claims that is was art and not vandalism.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 am

I'll just say that I'd like to see her finding outlet for her artistic impulses by spending a few years making license plates in a Federal penitentiary. And then, as community service, removing graffiti (including hers) from defaced rock at national parks, preferably with her personal toothbrush.
Last edited by JHH60 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
brichardsson, Stu Brandel

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50 am

JHH60 wrote:I started another thread on this earlier today.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=68459

Note that there's a petition to throw the book at the "artist" on whitehouse.gov - if you feel the way I do about this, please check it out and sign.

Oops, didn't see that. I'll merge this thread with yours and put it in this forum.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 am

Art is when you buy the canvass and then paint on it. When the canvass isn't yours, it isn't art.

I think a suitable punishment would be to let a bunch of park patrons paint her. :wink:

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
96avs01, MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Art is when you buy the canvass and then paint on it. When the canvass isn't yours, it isn't art.

That about sums it up! Nicely worded... :D :D :D

Tonka

by Tonka » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 pm

If she feels she can paint on OUR national parks and call it art we should be able to tattoo an F and U on her forehead and call it art.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Here is another site that has allegedly spoke to a family member of Nocket and she will be turning herself in but is worried for her safety.
http://trailmob.com/lifestyle/articles/family-of-now-infamous-national-parks-tagger-speaks

Next

Return to News