Cordillera Blanca Expedition Costs?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
MMclimbhigh

Cordillera Blanca Expedition Costs?

by MMclimbhigh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Howdy folks~

I'm in the preliminary phases of planning a month long expedition to the Blanca. I'm looking for a little advice (ballpark #'s of course) on the costs of hiring cooks, mules and arrieros. We (party of 2, just my lovely wife and I) plan on spending a week + in the Ishinca valley and another week climbing either Chopicalqui or Artesonraju. I know that the variables are unlimited, so I'm just looking to see what y'all have spent on the same type of expedition. We do not plan on hiring climbing guides (unless we attempt Artesonraju). I do have Brad Johnson's kick ass guidebook, which breaks down some logistical costs, but I'm curious about "real life" expenses in Huaraz!

Also, has anyone had good luck with hiring a logistics company, such as Chris Benway or Skyline Adventures?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Cheers,
M

Cissa

Re: Cordillera Blanca Expedition Costs?

by Cissa » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:24 am

Hey M!

Here´s some of the costs from this year´s (2014) season:

Around july, 1 dolar = 2.8 soles

- a mule driver will cost you 60 soles a day (for Ishinca you pay for only 1 day on the way in, and 1 day on the way back)
- each mule costs 20 soles a day
- for both you have to pay their way in and out, for they need to get back to their villages after dropping you off (for Arteson, if you go via Santa Cruz valley, you have to pay for the day they return, if you go Paron, there´s no mules, either you carry your stuff or get a porter)
- a porter costs US$ 40 a day, from Huaraz to Huaraz, and you have to provide him with a tent, transport and meals
- I don´t know how much a cook costs but it should be in the range of the porter (sorry!)
- taking public transportation to the trailhead of Ishinca will cost you 5 soles, and a taxi back to Huaraz (if you don´t have anything arranged it can be hard to find transport on the way back) can range in between 40 and 80 soles, depends on how well you negotiate
- a taxi from Huaraz to Llanganuco valley (to climb Chopi) will cost you around 100 soles or more (3h), or you can take public transportation for 20 soles to Yungay, and from there, a taxi will drop you at the trailhead for 60-70 soles (this year I paid 70 soles in a taxi straight from Huaraz, but I have good negotiating skills...)
- To Santa Cruz valley, public transportation also around 7-10 soles to Caraz (about 2h), and from there 15 soles on shared taxi (about 1h-1h30)
- please note that usually with big backpacks they will charge you an extra ticket on the colectivos (public buses)

Regarding Skyline and Chris from Cafe Andino, I´ve never used them but know many people and agencies that do, and never heard a bad thing about their service, on the contrary, I always hear it is superb, BUT, they are more expensive.

One option is to talk to the hostel owner you´re staying in, they usually know arrieros (mule drivers), cooks, porters, taxi drivers and can call them up for you, and eventually, you can contact them yourselves, which eliminates intermediates and is the cheapest way to do it. I do have some phone numbers from people that work on all these valleys, and I can look those up if you want.

The following user would like to thank Cissa for this post
Damien Gildea, MMclimbhigh

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:58 am

I recommend the Caroline Lodging bed and breakfast type place if you're ok with a hostel atmosphere. Very nice there and only 15 Soles/night for the shared rooms.

We stayed there every night we were back in Huaraz.
Good luck...it's awesome up there!

BTW, Cissa, we need to actually meet next time I'm down there!

MMclimbhigh

by MMclimbhigh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:08 am

Fantastic! Exactly the information that I'm looking for. We are not planning on pre arranging a set-in-stone schedule for this trip. Just want to show up, check the weather and route conditions, and make our plans from there. Very helpful information with regards to the daily expenses of hiring some help!

Thanks again,
M
Last edited by MMclimbhigh on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:53 pm

If you attempt Choplicalqui, staying in Yungay might be convenient. If you do, I wholeheartedly recommend Hostal Gledel as the place to stay. Though it's got no restaurant, if you ask, the people running it will be happy to cook a simple but fine tasting meal for you as well.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:37 am

The numbers I've heard (might be a bit old) are:
Arriero: $10 per day.
Burros: $5 per day.
Porter: $25 per day.
Cook: $50 per day.
Hiking guide: $50 per day.
Climbing guide: $100 per day.

I've stayed at Olaza's and I've heard it costs $20 per day for a single room and $30 for double or matirmonial room. Continental breakfast included (eggs are extra).

A good dinner with wine and tip in town is about $10. Cheaper meals can be had (but not by me) and you can spend a good bit more.

I've always gone with Skyline (as part of a group) and they have been great.

mjp20k

by mjp20k » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:48 pm

I've gone with Skyline Adventures twice and both experiences have been fantastic. Highly recommended.

Fletch

by Fletch » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 pm

At the other end of the spectrum, I went fully supported with drivers and shuttles, guided, and pampered (mules, cooks, etc) for 18 days for mas/menos $4,500. I've spent a lot of time camping, on floors and barns, in shitbox hostels, etc and the righteousness of going native does not appeal to me anymore ... this time, I thought I'd treat myself. As I get older and older, the romance of being a dirtbag has literally lost all it's luster. If you can afford it, go first class.

Any way you go, it's spectacular down there. Just awesome. I will be going back for sure. Have fun and good luck. And if you spend more than $4,500 and you aren't going first class, then you're spending too much. Ha!

Return to South America