Am I too old?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
climb321

Am I too old?

by climb321 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi

I am 38. I currently climb at a very average grade. To give you an idea, on traditionally protected routes, about USA 5.9, UK HVS. On bolts/sport about French 6a+. On water ice about WI4. Scottish winter grades about IV.

In the Alps I have very little experience above AD.

I do have 10 years of climbing experience though at these grades and am competent in the mountains and efficient with rope work and movement.

I am married and have kids. I do a job that keeps me fit but doesn't pay that well. It does give me a lot of free time, but not the money to fully exploit it.

The question. How feasible is it for me to get to a level that I can start to enjoy some of the harder routes in the Alps and further afield? Am I too old to conceivably get to this level given the time constraints that I have and the lack of cash. I want to get to a level where I am getting on the harder north face routes at around ED1 but I am wondering if by the time I get the experience that I need to climb at this level, I will be too old to do so as my fitness won't be as good or as easy to maintain.

Can anyone offer any advice? How old were you when you started climbing 'seriously'? Is it possible without dedicating lots of time and cash to long trips to the Alps and bigger ranges?

Thanks

Return to Europe