Bad Day At Black Rock

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Fried Chicken

Bad Day At Black Rock

by Fried Chicken » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Guess this falls into the "Spray" category... or perhaps "Misinformation" (LOL). :roll:

There I was, atop the "Dominatrix Without Mercy"---not the killer boulder problem out near Cochise Stronghold in AZ, and not the somewhat scary gal I occasionally visit, but the premier route found on Black Rock, the 500' granite spire hidden amongst project buildings in the Lower Bronx---and I was looking to set up a combo hanging belay and rappel anchor, 10-4??? We buy our lead ropes by the spool, not the coil, you understand. Had my hand bitten by a Cujo Bat while blindly searching for good anchor placements, but the bat only bit me once before I fished it out and macked it Ozzy-style, so I let that one slide. No worries. Finally opted for short stacks of double-ought RPs self-equalized behind an expanding flake: totally bombproof, unless a quake hits while you're handling your business. And wouldn't ya know it??? Just as my partner was halfway up the spire, the Five Boroughs got hammered by a quake that registered 9.2 on the Richter Scale... my partner promptly peeled off dime-thin edges like a wingsuit pilot/circus acrobat, courtesy of all the slack I gave that fool for freedom of movement. Never got any thanks for providing all that slack in the rope either, belay slave scene be damned. :evil:

Next thing I know, my primo RP anchor got yanked and ejected like an unruly Raiders fan (drunk, no hope of making the playoffs), and I found myself hurtling toward the deck, all lower placements explosively zippering like some cheesy Hollywood movie sequence involving Mideastern terrorists. Fortunately, my partner (also falling) got hung up talking to some crack ho, which allowed the now-slack top-shelf Walmart rope to "drift" in the breeze and catch upon a nearby building projection... in the meantime, I struck an errant NOAA weather balloon which helped slow my descent, and my deadly fall was arrested at the last nanosecond. I wound up dangling 10' above ground, until a stray bullet from a drug deal gone wrong parted my rope and saved me the trouble of breaking out the Jumars. Not such a good thing for my partner, who subsequently struck the nearby pavement at terminal velocity, cratering the surface, with brains splattered all over like a melon. Oh, well, the belaying left something to be desired, I'll probably be better off soloing anyway... as usual, the "Dominatrix Without Mercy" won that round, bi-yatch never fails to give me a hard time, "10-FO'???" :shock:

Alright, I'm back to my ballgame, gotta make the most of this gridiron action, since the season won't last forever.
"What lured him on was, of course, the great adventure, the eternal longing of every truly creative man to push on into unexplored country, to discover something entirely new---if only about himself."

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

Re: Bad Day At Black Rock,,

by Fried Chicken » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:02 am

You're the second person to say that my writing resembles or somehow conjures up the work of good ol' Hunter S., and you haven't even read the articles I had published years earlier in the local underground rag. Follow the links I already posted here to stumble upon a body of Internet postings with classic observations, yeah??? Ironically, and no reflection upon you as a literary person, my other stories are so freakin' politically incorrect that they haven't quite hit the big-time yet, though certain editors have studied them to see whether the stories could actually be published in book form. One way or another, you'll eventually see my tales of adventure published, or I'll die like Herman Melville, who went to his grave thinking he was an abject literary failure... dude now stands among the Titans of American Literature, right up there with Poe, Twain & London, yeah??? I should say here that I'm a big fan of those I call "The UK Masters"---even though the UK didn't exist when some of these hands picked up a quill pen or whatever. I'm talking about Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Conan Doyle, C.S. Forester, Nevil Shute, et al... those boys knew how to WRITE, yeah??? My favorite novel of all time is TREASURE ISLAND, by Robert Louis Stevenson, and his poetry doesn't suck either... read REQUIEM and figure it out, LOL. Time to go, I don't plan on hangin' out here much, I only joined the site because I was banned (again) from my usual site, TRUCKFORUM.ORG --- I'd be the "RAILSPLITTER" at that site, a title or handle I EARNED back in the day while driving a big truck nationwide, AYE???
"What lured him on was, of course, the great adventure, the eternal longing of every truly creative man to push on into unexplored country, to discover something entirely new---if only about himself."

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

Re: Bad Day At Black Rock

by Fried Chicken » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 am

Oh, and as far as blazing goes, I DID burn a big ol' nug o' chronic prior to posting that b.s., but that had NO bearing upon my original intent, LOL. This site has so many hardcore mountaineers and technical rock & ice climbers, I just HAD to post my photos of Salton Expedition II... the shot of me sailing with my feet kicked up and an ice-cold tinny of watery domestic trash on deck just MAKES A STATEMENT, 10??? Especially when ya go back and view the photos and realize that NOBODY ELSE IS IN SIGHT, LOL. Meh, no worries, I couldn't care less what anybody here thinks, if they have better shots of Los Coronados, let the wankers post 'em, AYE??? Same deal with Livermore shots out in West Texas... or Steins shots, or Mohawk Mountain shots, etc., etc. Like I said, I usually hang out at the other site, which I will do more often now that I've been "unbanned" (LOL). Adios, dude, time to get back to this football match at Lambeau, YEAH???

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:37 am

Um... wood or grain alcohol?

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 am

Do you have any shots of Mt. Livermore??? If so, I'd love to see 'em, AYE???

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:19 am

Or photos of the Salton Sea??? Kinda like the photo you see as my avatar??? Tell me ya sailed the length of "The Toxic Lake"---I can introduce you to a group of scientists and activists who are BIG on Salton restoration, 10-4???

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Uh-oh, looks like I was hammered during my last visit... too much vanilla rum & eggnog, on top of all those Taddy Porters. Guess I'll try some of this Redd's Wicked Apple Ale as ye olde hair of the dog, some dude told me it isn't bad. That hand who commented upon my writing, if ya ever see a book titled HAMMER DOWN on the Internet, be sure to check it out, there are some hilarious stories in that book. Disclaimer: unlike my drunken rambling at this site, my actual tales of adventure are carefully crafted, and photos are incorporated directly into the text to back all claims, LOL. To the gal who PMed me here at this site, I like my spambots to be freeway speed when it comes to age, 10-4??? My ideal woman would look like forty miles of bad road, uglier than sin with a temper to match... until she comes along, I'll hafta settle for these pesky Vegas Hookers. Alright, I'm done here, I'm back to my favorite website to cause trouble, any climbers who read my original post and want to swap climbing sessions for sailing voyages, contact me via PM here, or hit me up at the other site. Hmm, this Redd's Wicked Apple isn't bad after all... gonna go easy today with the 8%, LOL.

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:04 am

Actually, my OTR days are done, though I'm really glad I went and saw the country when I did. Thanks to scumbag politicians and their corporate slavemasters, this country is swirling down the $h!tter fast, and it soon will not be worth touring.

As for getting fat, I've tried for years to put on weight, my goal has always been to look like a Sumo wrestler, but alas, it was never meant to be... I reckon the 150' tapeworm which dwells in my intestinal tract has something to do with it.

On the nautical scene, I was a diehard Laser man for decades... still am, in the spiritual sense, to this day I miss my old Laser (Hull # 2069, one of the early boats). Now I have a 12' MiniFish, smaller cousin to the Sunfish---my boat got downsized in this Obamanomic Economy, you understand. This boat is alright, she has good karma, and she has already sailed the length and breadth of the Salton Sea, which makes her "special" in my book.

Prior to the Z-Flex logo and the four aces with blazing crossed six-shooters, the mainsail had a Confederate flag theme, followed by a pirate skull with crossed cutlasses. When I had the pirate theme going, the skippers of our local "cattle boats" would announce my boat over shipboard PA systems: "And here we have our pirate ship..." The ol' girl got photographed and filmed by thousands on shore and aboard the cattle boats. She still gets filmed and photographed, mind you, and many folks comment upon the side with the four aces and blazing six-shooters. You can see all those mainsail themes and artwork at TRUCKFORUM.ORG , in the thread titled "REDNECK YACHT CLUB!!!" That thread is in the General Truck Forum or the Off-Topic Forum, can't remember which... gotta go, someone's at the door. ADIOS!!!

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Sailing is the ultimate... especially when you're headed to Los Coronados with your climbing gear stashed in a waterproof bag, LOL. Those overnight voyages to Los Coronados, they're hard to beat in terms of freedom, but some wingsuit pilots and B.A.S.E. jumpers may beg to differ with my claim. Sailing the Salton doesn't exactly suck either, it's the largest lake in CA and ya have it entirely to yourself. Largest lake in surface area, Tahoe may have it beat when it comes to volume, since it is so much deeper... the Salton is only about 50' deep at its deepest point, lying in a shallow desert pan as it does.

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Correctamundo... the wind was gusting over 20 knots when I launched "The Fish" during Salton Expedition II. Truth be told, I nearly derigged her and called it all off, since high winds (50+ knots) had created a monster dust storm the previous day. Haven't felt such a level of apprehension or outright fear in ages, LOL. The following day was gnarly too, with fierce gusts making the Salton too dangerous... I lucked out with my weather window, but then again, I've always been lucky in the field. Well, 97% of the time, anyway, LOL.

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Hey, Jesu, didja ever read that hilarious article in one of the climbing mags years ago??? The takeoff of Hunter's story titled "Gear And Clothing In Las Vegas"---I think it was written by John Sherman. Somewhere in the same mag, the dude had a photo of himself climbing "Lord Of The Rings" in slaps, drinking a bottle of ale with one hand... made him a climbing god in my book, LOL. You ever get a chance to read that story, check it out, it is hilarious. John Sherman is quite the author, I believe he missed his calling, 10-4???

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:45 pm

magic johnson wrote:I ended up losing my boat and nearly drowning. Haven't sailed since.

I couldn't live without sailing... I'd wind up going postal, breaking out the fully-automatic rifle and spraying the crowd with it, LOL. Perhaps specifically targeting scumbag politicians, robed sodomite judges, lying greaseball cops, etc., etc. It'd make one heckuva retirement program, that's for sure... never have more fun with your clothes on, I guarantee it. :lol:

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Naaaah, though I've crossed the Med in small liners and whatnot... I probably could've cadged a global circumnavigation with one of these rich tards here in my home town, but I like being my own master, never was much good at sucking up to rich wanks, aye??? Screwing their daughters, that's another story, LOL. Meh, those days are done, homie don't bother with rich folks nowadays. I don't mind plying local waters, there's enough to see and do here to make it worthwhile. If I ever hit the big-time, I'll buy a Swan 80 FD just to sail to the islands and "trash around" (as truck drivers say). Primo crags on the islands, and ya can't beat the views... you looked at those island shots in that link I posted? Mexican waters, but no Mexicans to be seen during stealth voyages, LOL. Hey, you can Google "Swan 80 FD" to see the boat o' my dreams, I can see myself slingin' that thing around like so much hash here in Dago, AYE???

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Got enough nieces & nephews to put to work, and as far as Fiji goes, I reckon I could always recruit a few cannibals as deckhands...

"Who has galley duty? Alright then, what's for dinner???" LOL.

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm reading a book by Nevil Shute, one of my favorite authors... the book is FAR COUNTRY (also known by its full title, THE FAR COUNTRY), and it is such a good story. Nevil Shute was a literary master, and his stories always rip: PASTORAL and A TOWN LIKE ALICE are other favorites by Shute... TRUSTEE FROM THE TOOLROOM as well, that is an excellent book. I've read just about every book ever written by Nevil Shute, and I never get tired of his style, the dude was a literary god. Meh, just wanted to share that with all here, I'm back to my book and the Howqua, LOL.

Heinrich Harrer

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander