Mt. Fuji in the winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
PeakAndAbyss

Mt. Fuji in the winter

by PeakAndAbyss » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Has anyone climbed Mt. Fuji in the winter? Any recommendations?

Tonka

Re: Mt. Fuji in the winter

by Tonka » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:32 pm

I looked into it the last time we went to Japan in Dec. but the amount of time due to logistics and transportation made it not worthwhile in our books.It can be done though and would be considered a technical climb I think. There are avy risks and it can be very windy.

GaryJWolff

by GaryJWolff » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:52 am

My advice, after nearly a quarter century of mountain climbing in Japan, is the opposite of what Nike would say: "Just don't do it!" :-)

More details (more than you'll ever need) on the dangers of a winter Mt. Fuji climb are here:
http://www.garyjwolff.com/climbing-mt-fuji.html#2

In particular, I recommend you click open the links to "I want to climb Fuji in winter" and "Winter Hiking Tips."

Best wishes...

PeakAndAbyss

by PeakAndAbyss » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:00 pm

I would be in a group of three, and we've all done at least Mt. Rainier (guided) in the past. From what I've read, Mt. Fuji in the winter is entirely non-technical, and the big dangers are wind and the low temperature.

I definitely don't want to climb it if it's somehow a deathtrap, but would love to try it out if there's a way to do it (reasonably) safely.

deungsan

by deungsan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:56 am

FWIW, I climbed Fuji solo on May 2-3, 2000.

Took a bus to highest station, where there was a lot of snow. Climbed an hour or so and camped in snow next to a locked up hut. Used crampons and ice ax to get to the summit, where I was totally alone. All the facilities were locked up and ice covered. On the descent, passed a Westerner who was wearing sneakers and casual clothes--he was too far away to ask how high he planned on going.

I pretty much stayed close to the hiking trail. Because it was buried under snow, I had to estimate its location by sighting the huts. Never felt I was facing much in the way of avalanche danger, but I could be wrong.

From my low bivvy site, I tagged the summit and got all the way down to the bus stop in the same day. Will post a pic if I can find one.

deungsan

by deungsan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:12 pm

deungsan wrote:FWIW, I climbed Fuji solo on May 2-3, 2000.

Took a bus to highest station, where there was a lot of snow. Climbed an hour or so and camped in snow next to a locked up hut. Used crampons and ice ax to get to the summit, where I was totally alone. All the facilities were locked up and ice covered. On the descent, passed a Westerner who was wearing sneakers and casual clothes--he was too far away to ask how high he planned on going.

I pretty much stayed close to the hiking trail. Because it was buried under snow, I had to estimate its location by sighting the huts. Never felt I was facing much in the way of avalanche danger, but I could be wrong.

From my low bivvy site, I tagged the summit and got all the way down to the bus stop in the same day. Will post a pic if I can find one.
Attachments
Fuji pan SM2.jpg
Here's what the Fuji summit looks like in winter conditions (in May). Pardon the image quality. It's from scanned prints that merged by Photoshop.
Fuji pan SM2.jpg (623.95 KiB) Viewed 6148 times

radson

by radson » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:53 am

When did May become Winter?

deungsan

by deungsan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 am

radson wrote:When did May become Winter?

Which is why it says "winter conditions."

Return to Asia