Ads, Grrr!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
surgent

Ads, Grrr!

by surgent » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm

This morning I logged in and looked at a couple pages. All sorts of "things" were loading according to the little alert box at the bottom left of my screen. These presumably are ads or scripts. Then the page would freeze, going blank except for a small part to the upper left. I am using the most recent version of FireFox.

In previous posts I (and others) have sought a balance to ads. Now ads are doing things like expanding to the whole window or causing the page to freeze. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Can't the site admins reject certain ads, or are they committed to using whatever the ad providers throw at them? I feel a certain amount of pride and some level of protection over their appearances. I take offense when annoying ads pop up or expand over stuff I put together.

I have to admit, this is reaching a breaking point for me. I have been on SP since 2003, but the ads issue has soured me to where I look in just a coupe times a week. I get it that selling ads keeps the site solvent, but the ad people shouldn't dictate everything to the admins. The admins should say no to certain types of ads, and pay more attention to how the ads will appear.

adventurer

Re: Ads, Grrr!

by adventurer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 pm

+1 Those ads are a pain in the a_ _!!
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Return to General