Advice on my gear? for Elbrus, Aconcagua, Denali

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
RG90

Advice on my gear? for Elbrus, Aconcagua, Denali

by RG90 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Backpack: Osprey 88 Xenith, Osprey UL Raincover XL

Sleeping bag: Alaska Cumulus 1300, Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus Regular, Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest Solar Regular, Marmot compressor

Hands: Outdoor Research Alti Mitts, Arcteryx Zenta AR Glove, Outdoor Research Backstop Gloves 250kr

Glasses: Julbo Bivouak Spectron 4

Crampons: Black Diamond Sabre Tooth pro

Harness: Camp Coral

Ice Axe: Camp Neve Plus 65cm, Silva EX-Pole Alu trekking poles

Balaclava: Arcteryx Rho Balaclava, outdoor research sonic balaclava

Baselayer top: Patagonia Capilene 4 Expedition Weight Zip Neck (Polartec® Power Dry® High Efficiency), Smartwool Midweight 250 Zip(100%merinowool 250 g/m²)

Middle Layer top : Atom AR

Shell Jjacket: Arcteryx Alpha SV

Down Parka: Mountain Hardwear Nilas Jacket

Base layer bot: Aclima M's Warmwool Long Pants(100% merinowool 200 g/m2)

Middle layer bot: Haglöfs Bungy II Tight ( Polartec® PowerStretch® Pro)

Toplayer bot and trekking pants: Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants, Haglöfs Lite Hybrid Pant Dune

Insulated pants: Patagonia DAS Pants, 1300kr

Hiking/climbing boots: Scarpa Kailash GTX

Im thinking of getting a Patagonia R3 to have as a midlayer and add the Atom AR on top of that for extra warmth. I also need some new boots.

no avatar
RG90

Re: Advice on my gear? for Elbrus, Aconcagua, Denali

by RG90 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Yury wrote:You have a single gear list for both Elbrus and Denali?
Elbrus is a dayhike while Denali is an expedition.

oh i see, well i was hoping i could use the same gear on both mountains.

bserk

by bserk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 am

RG90 wrote:

Most of the stuff yes, but on Elbrus you can leave most of your gear at the barrel huts and only continue with very light pack. Don't think this is the case on Denali (haven't been there). What I generaly see missing: Ski Goggles and a backup pair of glacier glasses. What I also noticed are your shoes....only a pair of hiking boots? No warm mountain boots?

no avatar
RG90

by RG90 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 pm

bserk wrote:
RG90 wrote:

Most of the stuff yes, but on Elbrus you can leave most of your gear at the barrel huts and only continue with very light pack. Don't think this is the case on Denali (haven't been there). What I generaly see missing: Ski Goggles and a backup pair of glacier glasses. What I also noticed are your shoes....only a pair of hiking boots? No warm mountain boots?

I think we are going to use tents and therefore we cant really leave our stuff unattended. I have a pair of goggles, just forgot to write them down. Also im not sure i need a backup pair for Elbrus. Ye i know about the shoes but when i was up at blanc it was very cold but ive used some thick socks and i didnt freeze and what ive read is that Elbrus is similar to Blanc.

bserk

by bserk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:44 am

RG90 wrote:
bserk wrote:
RG90 wrote:

I think we are going to use tents and therefore we cant really leave our stuff unattended. I have a pair of goggles, just forgot to write them down. Also im not sure i need a backup pair for Elbrus. Ye i know about the shoes but when i was up at blanc it was very cold but ive used some thick socks and i didnt freeze and what ive read is that Elbrus is similar to Blanc.

trust me..you want to have a backup pair of glasses. On the boots: on a bright sunny day with perfect conditions...sure you can make it. A buddy of mine did it with leather boots too, he never stopped moving and only had numb toes on the way down. But if it gets windy or even worse....good luck. You wouldn't be the first who comes down with frost bitten toes from Elbrus bc he underestimated the mountain. Oh and the question was also Denali I think, right? Good luck with those boots on Denali!

no avatar
RG90

by RG90 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:06 am

bserk wrote:
RG90 wrote:
bserk wrote:
RG90 wrote:

trust me..you want to have a backup pair of glasses. On the boots: on a bright sunny day with perfect conditions...sure you can make it. A buddy of mine did it with leather boots too, he never stopped moving and only had numb toes on the way down. But if it gets windy or even worse....good luck. You wouldn't be the first who comes down with frost bitten toes from Elbrus bc he underestimated the mountain. Oh and the question was also Denali I think, right? Good luck with those boots on Denali!

I bought a pair of Scarpa Vega.

Return to Gear