Differences between most common leather shoes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
kushner

Differences between most common leather shoes

by kushner » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:56 pm

I've been looking for shoes suitable for Summer as well as Winter in Alps and Summer in Caucasus (Elbrus, Kazbek).
I've decided that leather shoes will be perfect for such purpose, but I've also noticed that all avaliable models are very similar. Most of them has Vibram sole and 3mm leather,
so I've made the list of most popular ones and now I wonder if anyone could help me find the most reliable ones with most usefull technologies:

• Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX
  • La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX
  • La Sportiva Nepal Extreme
  • Zamberlan MOUNTAIN PRO GT RR
  • Zamberlan PAMIR GTX RR
  • Zamberlan Expert Pro GT RR
  • ASOLO UMMMIT TH MM
  • AKU MONTAGNARD GORE-TEX

I also consider some non-leather shoes:
  • Scarpa Mont Phantom Guide (shoes with integrated overboots)
  • La Sportiva Baruntse (shoes with inner boots - might be too hot)

Does anyone use one of these shoes and is satisfied/unsatisfied?

bserk

Re: Differences between most common leather shoes

by bserk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:29 am

I think the main difference ist fit on the shoes....you can have the most reliable/useful shoe (define both terms please) but if the last doesn't fit you, you won't be happy. I got the LS Batura and love it, first because it fits my feet so perfectly. Second it keeps them warm....oh and swagger!

In my opinion you cannot compare a LS Nepal Evo, Evo Extreme and Baruntse. They are all meant for different uses. Evo vs. Baruntse for example...Baruntse for much colder conditions than the Evo. Also the Scarpa Guide is more comparable to my LS Batura..more technical and for colder conditions. If I were in your position I'd get more info on each model from e.g. cold thistle blog or other sources! Compare apples with apples ;)

Tijs

Re: Differences between most common leather shoes

by Tijs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 am

I have the Zamberlan Expert Pro GTX RR. They are really comfortable, feature a clever double tongue and are very well made. But they are not particularly warm. So in winter I switch to either my Lowa Civetta Extreme or my Boreal G1 Lite. (But for how much longer? Lately, 'winters' have been so mild here in Switzerland.)

I also tried the Zamberlan Pamir GTX RR. Again, top quality, but personally, I found the sole way too stiff. For a year-round boot, that is. But then again, that might be a good thing if you plan to use crampons a lot. It all depends on your plans.

Return to Gear