Hiker/climber newbie: where to go in US/Canada?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
summit-newbie

Hiker/climber newbie: where to go in US/Canada?

by summit-newbie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi,
I'm 26, recently turned to sports and hiked my first summit (Galdhoppigen in Norway, 2469 m above sea level)
I really loved it. And since I'm flying to California end of August, I would love to plan some hiking early september. I love large open spaces, amazing landscapes.. such things.
It could be basically anywhere in US and/or Canada, as long as internal flights are still not too expensive, and also that the starting point is reachable via public transportation.
Any recommendation?
I would also like to find a group to go with at the same time. I thought through a hiking organization or so.. as long as they offer the right trip.
Any more advice?
Thank you so much

no avatar
powderjunkie

Re: Hiker/climber newbie: where to go in US/Canada?

by powderjunkie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:04 pm

Places you can easily get to with public transportation -

Yosemite is a must do - if you're just getting starting hiking and not comfortable with off-trail travel to summit peaks then I would suggest Half Dome cable route, Clouds Rest, Yosemite Falls.

Mammoth Lakes Area - many trailheads accessible by bus

Maybe others can recommend hiking organizations. Have fun.

no avatar
summit-newbie

by summit-newbie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks a lot for your answer!
I have done the Yosemite Falls hike last year. And walked a bit around the Grand Canyon. This is what I know and is beautiful, but I'd rather pick something else this time.
This time I would go more for something similar to the norwegian summit I mentioned, without the snow (if possible) and at least a summit not requiring climbing skills.
Any more advice?

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:11 pm

from Yosemite Valley itself, you can take the shuttle to Tuolumne Meadows, specifically Cathedral Lakes trailhead. From that trail, you can easily hit Cathedral, Matthes Crest, Echo Peaks, Tenaya, Unicorn - a whole feast of beautiful granite peaks within 2-4 miles:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmbus.htm

colinr

by colinr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 pm

summit-newbie wrote:Any more advice?

The western U.S. has countless options if you are able to rent a car. Without a car, the suggestions you already got may be the best. In terms of flights, you can fly to Mammoth Lakes from L.A. (from other airports winter only).

Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes are what immediately came to my mind. SEKI (Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP) also has public transportation options, but peaks might be limited to Alta Peak and Moro Rock given your requirements.

Here are some links besides the YNP park shuttle bus system:

http://www.estransit.com/connections-for-thru-hikers

http://www.estransit.com/routes-schedule/seasonal

http://climber.org/data/shuttles.html

http://www.highsierratopix.com

In Yosemite NP, look into the shuttle to Tuolumne Meadows. It provides a different experience than Yosemite Valley with many nice hikes and high peaks within reach. Early September is a great time to be there.

While not prime time in terms of water flow, I also recommend hiking on the opposite side of Yosemite Valley from Yosemite Falls. I rate these as much better experiences than the Yosemite Falls Hike: 1) Make a semi-loop of 4-Mile Trail, Glacier Point, Panorama Trail, and Mist Trail. 2) Hike to Clouds Rest and/or Half Dome.

Tuolumne Meadows area connects via public transport to Mammoth Lakes, another destination with world class hiking and peaks. The well known peaks like Banner and Ritter might be too much for you, but you could bus to a trailhead and hike to Thousand Island Lake, Lake Ediza, or maybe scramble up Volcanic Ridge for great views. Duck Pass area is another option in Mammoth from the free Lakes Basin Trolley.

From Mammoth Lakes, public transportation is available down the rest of the Eastern Sierra, but getting up into the mountains anywhere south of Mammoth requires private shuttle services or hitchhiking if you don't drive. Mt. Williamson Motel gives rides to Onion Valley for guests. From there, Kearsarge Pass is an easy trail hike with great views. Mt. Gould would be a short trip from the pass, while several other worthwhile peaks would be more challenging in terms of endurance or ability.

Return to General