Olancha from Sage Flat?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

Olancha from Sage Flat?

by Luciano136 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Just wondering if anyone has done this recently? What kind of shape is the trail in? Easy to follow? Temps look pretty mild for Saturday, so I'm considering it as an option. Got turned around years ago because of thunderstorms and still have to go back to tag the peak.

colinr

Re: Olancha from Sage Flat?

by colinr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Not in 2016, but I did dayhike it early April of the year prior. The human trail was in good condition, while cattle drive routes were as to be expected. I don't recall much of note regarding the correct trail route besides it being easy, smooth, boring, long, and dry. Keep in mind, this was spring, with a bit of high snow and a trickle of water at Gomez Meadow. Now would be even more dry and dusty. IMO the standard trail approach and class 2 route is not worth the time it takes. I'd do something more interesting there or just go elsewhere. Emblem Peak is a misnomer if not doing something to make it more interesting.

To summarize: It put me to sleep.

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
Luciano136

Carbo

by Carbo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Like Colin I did it early in the season last year. There was pretty much only some snow to use for water. The area was very dry already. I agree not the most interesting peak to bag. The trail is easy to follow.

The following user would like to thank Carbo for this post
Luciano136

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:12 pm

It is very smoky in Ridgecrest right now and when we drove to Lone Pine last weekend it continued up that way, with some relief finally up at Horseshoe Meadows, but still a bit smoky even there.

Looks like they're thinking Ridgecrest might clear some tomorrow, but you may at least have smoky views from Olancha to the South and West, if not also hiking in mildly smoky air.

If the smoke doesn't bother you, probably a good time to go do it otherwise (but it will be dry as others noted, bring plenty of water)

The following user would like to thank ExploreABitMore for this post
Luciano136

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks guys! I noticed the smoke as well. I think I'll leave it for shoulder season; maybe late winter/early spring when there is more water and other trailheads are still closed. I'll head up to Onion Valley instead.

Return to California