Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Adams (south spur) or DC route 8/3 - 8/5

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Adams (south spur) or DC route 8/3 - 8/5

Postby pjl5020 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm

A buddy and I flying into Seattle area 8/2. We are looking at either doing south spur or DC route. Anyone interested in joining?
Climbed emmons route end of may, guided

I am aware that these routes are quite different. Depending on experience involved we will decide. We are not entirely comfortable with unguided glacier travel yet. However, I have done 2 glacier climbs (rainier, baker). Doing crevasse rescue refresher end of july on baker in prep.
pjl5020

Re: Adams (south spur) or DC route 8/3 - 8/5

Postby Sunny Buns » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:22 am

How about your buddy? Is he experienced in crevasse rescue? Unless you both have it down I'd recommend Adams South side (the normal route).

It's a beautiful climb and you will not have to worry about crevasses, guides, etc. AND glissading down can be very good if the snow is good.

Have fun.

PS I've done the Emmons twice. Was just a snow slog as long as you didn't fall into a crevasse. Never done DC, but based on the photos I've seen it looks harder than Emmons even though it is the "normal" route.
Sunny Buns

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)