Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Current conditions on Mt Adams?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Current conditions on Mt Adams?

Postby Ben C » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Hey Everybody,

Climbing Adams this Sunday - has anyone been up this week?

Wondering about general conditions and what shape the glissade chutes have been in.

And is the smoke bad up that way?

Ben C

Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Current conditions on Mt Adams?

Postby Sunny Buns » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 am

Don't know about now, but back maybe 5 years or so ago when the big fire went thru the South Side Cold Springs parking lot, smoke was bad. Lesson learned on that trip: if you look down while climbing above and see smoke any where near the parking lot OR the road leading to it, get off the mountain immediately. Do not hesitate. Our cars had been bombed by fire retardant, and the forest was burning/smoldering around us as a Forest Service vehicle led us down the road. Spooky.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordp ... rdb5435984

Last phone number I have for Trout Lake rangers is 509 - 3 9 5 - 3 4 0 2. Probably still good.
Sunny Buns

Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:24 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 46 times in 41 posts

Re: Current conditions on Mt Adams?

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Anyone done Mazama Glacier recently?
User Avatar

Posts: 4393
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1257 times in 856 posts

Re: Current conditions on Mt Adams?

Postby Ben C » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 pm

** Update **

I got to the top of the Lunch Counter on Friday afternoon about 4pm - right at the base of the glissade chutes. The approach was nice, good weather.

Some WICKED lightning and thunder, rain and wind throughout the late evening on Friday. From what I heard from other climbers, the worst of it was between 8500 and 9000 feet - a bit below where I was. One guy said his tent poles were glowing and his iPhone got fried, just from the surrounding electrical charge. Crazy.

Sideways hail, 30 mph wind and one serious lightning strike on Saturday morning made me think about turning back, but I waited it out for about an hour and it seemed to be calming down. I started up from camp just before 7am, and it was perfect. Plenty of people at the summit, but the view was pretty hazy because of the smoke.

The glissade chutes were in great shape - though there were some rocks in some sections, so keep an eye on them on the way up! Asking people who had just come down was really helpful too.

Broke camp early Sunday morning and had a nice walk back down.

I talked to a few groups that were turning back because of incoming weather on Sunday evening.

Also, there is plenty of flowing water coming down the creek so you don't have to melt as much snow up at camp. There is also some flowing up near the summit if you need to gather some there.

Happy Climbing!
Ben C

Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.