Washing Softshells

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Blair

Washing Softshells

by Blair » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:25 am

I have heard Woolite is ok, and I have heard the Nikwax is the way to go. Can anyone help me out there on what they have done, and recommend? I need to wash my pants...

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 am

Follow the instructions on the garment. Drying in the dryer generally seems to restore the DWR. If the DWR needs more help, Granger's Softshell spray-on treatment has worked pretty well for me.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 am

FortMental wrote:I wouldn't wash softshells... you should just throw them in a pan with a little butter and lots of garlic, a little salt and pepper. Add a little white wine; tastes way better than Nikwax....take it from me.

Deep frying is good too.

Haliku

Re: Washing Softshells

by Haliku » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:53 am

Now for a serious response (not that the cooking tips weren't funny: Do follow the instructions. Otherwise Nikwax is the dominate tech clothing wash (certainly there are others but I am not familiar with them). I would also only wash them when obviously very dirty or the water repellency is fading. Cheers!

Blair wrote:I have heard Woolite is ok, and I have heard the Nikwax is the way to go. Can anyone help me out there on what they have done, and recommend? I need to wash my pants...

imhuge

by imhuge » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 pm

I went to buy more Nikwax and the store was out so I bought Toko instead. I've been using Toko for years and have no complaints.

http://www.toko.ch/en/productOverview/products_care_line_textilpflege_ch/Textile+Care.html

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Wash in a solution of this:

Then, during the Second Rinse Cycle, throw in the appropriate mixture of this:

Then follow the prescribed Instructions for the Softshell Proof.

Works like a charm every time and performs better than the origianal product IMO.

Blair

by Blair » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Thank you for the tips. The pants are some Patagonia Stretch Guide pants I hooked up on ebay for cheap, so I didnt know if when I get them they will have care instructions on the pants themselves. Dont think the tag w the care instructions will be provided.

So Thanks for the advice.

Fort Mental- Do you have a backcountry cook book available on amazon? :lol:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Blair,

Got three different Patagonia Guide britches and clean/treat them the way I described.

Has worked great for me.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:50 am

Works great for me too. Told you so Blair!

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 pm

I would be careful about "washing in" any kind of DWR solution, as that may affect the wicking properties of the internal fabric face. I prefer a spray-on DWR followed by the dryer cycle.

theBecca

by theBecca » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Another vote for Nikwax! Just recently I brought my 5 favorite softshell jacket back to life after a couple of seasons of heavy wear...wouldn't use anything else.

Return to Gear