Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Weight loss

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Re: Weight loss

Postby Vitaliy M. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 am

skipping meals as a method for caloric restriction is fine, but depends on the person. some people prefer smaller meals, some prefer a few bigger meals then fasting for longer periods. either way, there is no net metabolic benefit. just personal preference

Actually it is a proven fact that if you divide 1500calories into 6 meals instead of 2 you will lose more weight. Taking frequent small meals speeds up your metabolism.
Vitaliy M.

Postby Ze » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Afraid not.

For instance: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0038632

"RMR and appetite control increased in the LFr diet, which can be relevant for body weight control on the long term."

LFr = Low Meal Frequency
Ze

Postby Vitaliy M. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:51 am

With a bit more research I got to say you got it right if goal is pure WEIGHT loss. I had different goals with my weight loss. Since I was active my goals included muscle gain/weight loss. When you are trying to help your muscles recover you have to eat more often. But since I was still trying to lose weight (mostly fat) I ate less calories than my body requires to maintain weight.
Vitaliy M.

Postby Burchey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:13 am

If you guise are concerned about living longer with respect to diet, some studies have shown that a eat one day/fast one day/eat one day/fast one day...and so on, really kicks the lifespan up. The ex-wife worked on lifespan in C. elegans (and maybe mice?) at the Salk - tried to listen a bit here and there.
Burchey

The following user would like to thank Burchey for this post
Catamount

Postby Catamount » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 am

Catamount

Postby radson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 am

radson

Postby Ze » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:With a bit more research I got to say you got it right if goal is pure WEIGHT loss. I had different goals with my weight loss. Since I was active my goals included muscle gain/weight loss. When you are trying to help your muscles recover you have to eat more often. But since I was still trying to lose weight (mostly fat) I ate less calories than my body requires to maintain weight.

I agree that when you are highly active, you need to ensure proper glycogen re synthesis so eating more carbs more frequently helps. But honestly you could eat one HUGE carb/protein meal after your workout and that would suffice (although probably not pleasant).

These sort of fundamentals allow you to get "jacked" if you wanted (though climbers/ hikers generally don't), have very high level cardio conditioning, and burn fat. But trying to do all without the proper nutrition / recovery will cause your hormones to crash and your diet will fail.
Ze

Postby MoapaPk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Increase the Goji berry content of your diet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lBoJpx8Wn8
Also increase the amount of insects and arachnids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYikCMsh4pE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuB3kr3ckYE

Trust me, you won't regret these changes.
MoapaPk

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Theswan

Postby Catamount » Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 am

Catamount wrote:Currently at 6'0, 198 ... would like to get back into the 180s eventually.

189 and dropping like a rock. :)
Catamount

Postby tylert27 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm

While most oils are bad, I think its good to have fish oils. They tend to have a lot of Omega 3 which is great for your skin and really isn't detrimental to your weight. Also, skipping meals is never a good idea. If you skip a meal, your body will start training itself to take on more of the calories that it digests. You will actually gain more weight by taking only a couple of meals. If you want to lose weight you should have 5 or 6 very small meals.
tylert27

Postby Catamount » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 pm

tylert27 wrote:Also, skipping meals is never a good idea. If you skip a meal, your body will start training itself to take on more of the calories that it digests. You will actually gain more weight by taking only a couple of meals. If you want to lose weight you should have 5 or 6 very small meals.

That IS what all the books and talk shows say, but color me unconvinced. I have only one meal about 4 or 5 days a week and am down about 20 pounds in the last 3 months, 25 pounds since November. 185 before my morning swim today. I don't know how anyone can argue with what seems like a simple formula of calories in versus calories out.

Now what I will agree with is that if you are consuming 2,000 calories a day, then it is probably more beneficial to spread them out over several small meals as opposed to a couple of large ones. But if skipping meals is dropping your total caloric intake, then it seems like a no-brainer that you will lose weight as a result.

Some unsolicited comments I've heard in the last few weeks:

"You look emaciated."

"I can see the transformation."

"You look 10 years younger."

... and my personal favorite (from my wife):

"What happened to the rest of your ass?" :D
Catamount

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
dskoon

Postby Ze » Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 am

tylert27 wrote:While most oils are bad, I think its good to have fish oils. They tend to have a lot of Omega 3 which is great for your skin and really isn't detrimental to your weight. Also, skipping meals is never a good idea. If you skip a meal, your body will start training itself to take on more of the calories that it digests. You will actually gain more weight by taking only a couple of meals. If you want to lose weight you should have 5 or 6 very small meals.

You're just wrong, sorry.
Ze

Postby Marmaduke » Wed May 22, 2013 6:35 am

Ze wrote:
tylert27 wrote:While most oils are bad, I think its good to have fish oils. They tend to have a lot of Omega 3 which is great for your skin and really isn't detrimental to your weight. Also, skipping meals is never a good idea. If you skip a meal, your body will start training itself to take on more of the calories that it digests. You will actually gain more weight by taking only a couple of meals. If you want to lose weight you should have 5 or 6 very small meals.

Curious of what part? The first of his post is correct. The latter is more likely based on individual metabolism.
http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/ ... fish-oil1/
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/omega-3 ... se-fat.htm
Marmaduke

Postby geagleiam » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:49 pm

I followed a program for healthy life. I ate often, but little. On the other hand I ate salad consisting of possibly more different vegetables, and many fruits every time and stopped eating meat. In two months I lost about 10 kilograms and people were very surprised, especially the ones who want to loose weight. Actually nobody followed me - they can not give up their habits.
Last edited by geagleiam on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
geagleiam

Postby Ze » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Ze wrote:

Curious of what part? The first of his post is correct. The latter is more likely based on individual metabolism.
http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/ ... fish-oil1/
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/omega-3 ... se-fat.htm

The skipping meals.
Ze

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training