What altitude should I start to pack Diamox?

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
stel87

What altitude should I start to pack Diamox?

by stel87 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

When planning a trip, at what sleeping altitudes do you plan to pack Diamox or consider staged ascents?
I have read that AMS affects about 25% of people above 8,000ft (2,400m) and this is roughly the same for periodic breathing (Cheyne-Stokes breathing). I stayed at Bow Hut last year (~2,400m) and nobody seemed to be taking Diamox or staging their ascents, so I was curious about which altitude people really start to do these things. Any feedback is appreciated.

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: What altitude should I start to pack Diamox?

by rgg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

I very much prefer gradual acclimatization before climbing really high.

In Europe I have occasionally packed Diamox, just in case, but didn't use it.

On a number of climbing trips to South America I packed Diamox. I never did so with the intent to use it, but on one particular trip where I had limited time and still wanted to climb a whole lot of high peaks, I got a mild case of AMS (that is, I think I did - I'm no doctor), so I used Diamox for a few days. After that I didn't need it anymore.

I've never planned staging. Even when I climbed high peaks in the Andes, I acclimatized by hiking and climbing lower peaks first until my body had adapted well enough to sleep comfortably at 5000m. That's enough to climb anything in South America without needing additional acclimatization days.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Scott

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue