Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

What happened to Borut/ Borutek?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: What happened to Borut/ Borutek?

Postby SenadR » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 am

Borut and Roberto were a great asset to this website, i hate to see them go, hope they change their mind. You can't replace their contribution over the night, imo it's huge loss to our community but it's their decision and life goes on.
SenadR

The following user would like to thank SenadR for this post
Sarah Simon, Silvia Mazzani

Postby lcarreau » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:15 am

CClaude wrote:Lcarreau,

But Damian is right. Photo's are peoples property, and if they are feeling that their images are used improperly, its their perogative. Before we make hard and fast rules, understand situations. This especially true for those that english may be a 2nd or 3rd or 4th language, where misunderstandings can easily occur.

Yeah man, you gotta point there.

We don't know the circumstances .... nobody knows what goes on in somebody's mind before the delete button is pushed, and their pages go up in smoke.

The only TRUE language I understand is Body Language ...

lcarreau

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 am

lcarreau wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:I perferred the days when people would just talk about deleting their stuff for 18 months before actually doing nothing. Just old fashioned I guess.

"I've been kicking around the thought of leaving SP for the past two years. Was hoping if I hung around, somebody would share a bit of whiskey with me ..."
HINT .... HINT ........

You spelled it wrong lcarreau. We won't be having any of THAT garbage. Blech!!! I said good stuff. Do let me know if you come to California... Or maybe we end up overseas at the same time. Do you prefer Talisker or Lagavulin?

Mmmmmmm....

mrchad9

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:33 am

Larry, I will give you a bottle of MacAllan 18 if you don't post that bear picture again for an entire year.

It's a little bit of heaven in a bottle for all except those who light their cigars with $100 bills. Even then, it still has to be pretty damn good. :)
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby lcarreau » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 am

mrchad9 wrote:You spelled it wrong lcarreau ...

This is my preference, when given the choice.

Hey, they spelled it wrong here, too! Wonder if the bottle manufacturer was "three sheets" to the wind ???

More circumstances that I cannot understand ...
Last edited by lcarreau on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
lcarreau

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:39 am

That's not Scotch whisky!

And don't listen to Bob we love the bear!

Bob do you want that bear to start showing up on all my pages? Hmmm I wonder if we can get it to be POTD??? Hmmmm maybe POTW?
mrchad9

Postby lcarreau » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:44 am

mrchad9 wrote:That's not Scotch whisky!

Bob do you want that bear to start showing up on all my pages? Hmmm I wonder if we can get it to be POTD??? Hmmmm maybe POTW?

How 'bout bear of the month ? It's very hard to tell its gender, however ...... :?
lcarreau

Postby chugach mtn boy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:04 am

I am sorry to lose Roberto. We shared an interest in alpine fortifications, and he put together some stupendous and unique pages on those. I was hoping to meet him someday.
chugach mtn boy

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
boyblue, mrchad9, Silvia Mazzani, yatsek

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:06 am

Damien Gildea wrote:So if Borut objected to how his contributions on SP were being affected by their use or by the contributions of others, I can understand.

Damien, he did not give a reason, but I can almost guarantee you that the above was not his reason.

Since becoming an elf just a little over two years ago, I have seen Borut delete his pages and have his account deleted three times now. The first time, and this was right about when I joined the staff, it was my understanding from some of the other elves that in going, he also deleted pages he had adopted.

Bad, bad form. I have seen a number of people go here over my years as a member, elf and non-elf, but I think almost every other person has at least given away adopted pages as opposed to deleting them. A very few have even taken the time to give away their own pages, sometimes stripping the text and sometimes not, but at least leaving logs, trip reports, and other attachments intact.

What I do know is that Borut did not like a line from an article currently featured on the front page. He seemed to think it expressed sympathy for the bad guys. And he was asking to speak with the elf who featured the page and was implying that something should be done.

One day later, a request for deletion came from his empty account. It was not an angry message. Maybe he was mad that there had been no elf response or action yet. Maybe he did not like the page author's response to his comment. Maybe he fell for the profile page joke and took it very seriously, though he had been around long enough not to. Still, one of his departures stemmed from objecting to a Mike Tyson quote about eating children that appeared at the bottom of a forum page.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I have no idea.

To those reading who were fans of Borut's pages and might think I'm being harsh, I'm sorry, but after three times now (at least), this just gets really old. As I said on the first page of this thread, some people seem a little too tightly wound to take even a relatively tame site like SP. So spare us the tears. All regret I feel is on behalf of those who contributed to Borut's pages and now have that material deleted or floating around in SP limbo. They, more than the anonymous users of the pages, are the ones who were truly burned.

So now here's my pledge to the SP community, whether you like me, hate me, don't know who I am, or just don't care:

If the day comes that I become so disenchanted with this site that I want to leave, I will delete articles and trip reports and other material that is more an expression of myself than an attempt to share beta, but when it comes to mountains, routes, areas, canyons, and trip reports with useful beta, I will transfer them to people who would be good caretakers or to some shell account that will have no connection to me and which I will never use. I'll reserve the option to delete pages for unnamed peaks, but nothing that's named on a map will go.

And if I decide to make a farewell post in the forums, that's all it will be. No Internet drama, no attempt to explode the forum. Sorry.

I encourage the rest of you to consider the same.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
boyblue, Buz Groshong, chugach mtn boy, rebelgrizz, SzaniUherkovich

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:07 am

mrchad9 wrote:That's not Scotch whisky!

It's a shame a certain profile pic, with comments, couldn't have made POTW. :lol:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 am

------

I never knew that Borat even climbed

-
jesu, joy of man's desiring

Postby lcarreau » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:07 am

Steve1215 wrote:------

I never knew that Borat even climbed

-

Excellent point, Steve! He looks sooooo happy here.
lcarreau

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 am

Bob it sounds like you have this all planned out.
mrchad9

Postby SeanReedy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 am

SeanReedy

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:28 am

:lol:
mrchad9 wrote:Bob it sounds like you have this all planned out.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General