Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

What happened to Borut/ Borutek?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: Where did Borut go again?

Postby Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:25 pm

There was a request for deletion yesterday. He had already deleted his material. I have no idea what the problem was this time around, but I do know he didn't like a line from an article on the front page. When I saw the deletion request, all I could think was, "Again?" :roll:
Bob's Law: The rationality of a person is inversely proportional to the number of political and religious bumper stickers on his car. Around bumper-sticker warriors, smile, speak calmly, and get the hell away as fast as possible.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

What happened to Borut/ Borutek?

Postby PAROFES » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Does anybody know?
Man I enjoyed his route pages a lot, and seems to me all of it was deleted!

Anybody?
PAROFES

Re: What happened to Borut/ Borutek?

Postby PAROFES » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Wow...His pages will sure be missed. I think he is a great guy and I didn't see it coming...
Which article it was? Mine???
PAROFES

Postby Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:57 pm

It wasn't your article.

He felt a line from the article might be taken the wrong way. Maybe lack of prompt elf action made him mad. I don't know if it was the article at all, though.

It's not the first time he's left the site over something that most of the rest of us just didn't seem to get.

I wish him well, but some people just seem to be a little too tightly wrapped for the Internet, and SP is far from the Wild West of the online world.

These little fits get a little old. So much drama for so little reason. Oh well.
Bob's Law: The rationality of a person is inversely proportional to the number of political and religious bumper stickers on his car. Around bumper-sticker warriors, smile, speak calmly, and get the hell away as fast as possible.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Kahuna » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Shame... hope he reconsiders.

Frustration, you bit. Ignore the riles that idiocy can stir up.

Ones knowledge and experience, such as Borutek's, is something I have always found good about SP.

Again, I hope that you reconsider Borutek.
Kahuna

Postby Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm

The elves should keep a list of these people who leave and pull their pages. In pulling their pages, they could be deleting content contributed by others who had the page before them. They should not be allowed to own pages after they have done that. By taking a mountain page they are keeping someone who might be more responsible from taking it. That priviledge should be reserved for those of us who are responsible.
Buz Groshong

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
EricChu, Vitaliy M.

Postby SzaniUherkovich » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:The elves should keep a list of these people who leave and pull their pages. In pulling their pages, they could be deleting content contributed by others who had the page before them. They should not be allowed to own pages after they have done that. By taking a mountain page they are keeping someone who might be more responsible from taking it. That priviledge should be reserved for those of us who are responsible.

I agree with you, though I guess that it would need too much attention / administration. It would be better if such things don't happen. I don't know how bad that "article line" was. I can't judge. Still I'm a bit upset. Many summit logs of some of us have been deleted as a result of his action. In addition it I did efforts to improve the photo documentation of some of his pages, and now these efforts are useless as there is no page behind. As I told - I can't judge his action, but perhaps there could be other option than FULL DELETE. For example simply going to inactivity...
SzaniUherkovich

The following user would like to thank SzaniUherkovich for this post
Buz Groshong

Postby desainme » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Roche d'Hercule page is gone. I found it in cache so it is in some sense on this side of the River Styx.
desainme

Postby lcarreau » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Geez, sad to see him go ..

This was the dude who kept changing his user name, right ? Perhaps "change" was an important aspect of his life, but sorry to see his pages deleted as well ..

sjarelkwint wrote: ... Otherwise it would be better to do a full copy of summitpost on a swedish server *hint* :D

Man, this is sad .... this is really sad ...

lcarreau

Postby Vitaliy M. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:The elves should keep a list of these people who leave and pull their pages. In pulling their pages, they could be deleting content contributed by others who had the page before them. They should not be allowed to own pages after they have done that. By taking a mountain page they are keeping someone who might be more responsible from taking it. That priviledge should be reserved for those of us who are responsible.

100% agree. In addition, if a person had such drama queen behaviors in the past they should not be let back on within next 3 month at least. Going back and forth and deleting pages is immature.
Vitaliy M.

Postby Damien Gildea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am

I don't know anything about borut, or his situation with his pages, and I don't necessarily disagree with anything written above.

However, as someone who once pulled a page - Kula Kangri - and other photos (Antarctica etc), there is another view. My photos, which were relatively unique and specifically captioned, were taken and used in 'albums' or whatever they're called, and put in with other material that was not so well selected or captioned. At the time, I was accused (well, only by the The Chief, but ... :-) ) of overreacting, but I felt that others using my material haphazardly reflected back on me, as if I'd consented to this sloppy use of them, which I had not, and I simply did not like my images being used in poorly-done work. I still don't, either in print or online.

So if Borut objected to how his contributions on SP were being affected by their use or by the contributions of others, I can understand. I realise it's a collective thing and we all need to get along, no one can be a princess, and it's not exactly life-or-death stuff. It's just a website. But if you care enough to make a good page, then you probably care enough to get annoyed when somebody f@#ks with it, even if they're only f@#king with it in your opinion. If people didn't care like that, there would be no Summitpost.

It really comes down to quality control and differing standards of care and competence. And how much these differences are tolerated here, or not.
Damien Gildea

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
EricChu, macintosh, norco17

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:46 am

Now if only another weak member would pack up and go we could then get on with cleaning the rest of the site up.
mrchad9

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
lsheen

Postby dadndave » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 am

Bugger!

I can't believe I fell for that old gag. :D
What is this "scientific method" you speak of?
dadndave
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General