What is it with Arc'teryx?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
seb

What is it with Arc'teryx?

by seb » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:40 pm

I seem to have received 3 responses about Arc'teryx jackets ranking from most common response to least common:
1. They are to expensive for me and no i haven't used them.
2. I have used them and i absolutely love there stuff and it's definitely worth the money.
3. There stuff is ridiculously priced not worth the money and for the price they are terrible.

I don't understand 2 and 3 because number 2 is all ways written by good sources and sites whose reviewers have either used them extensively or are guides and used them extensively and 3 all ways seem to be just people who i meet i don't know who i should actually trust with it the corruptible review sites or the just as easily corruptible by having just one bad experience with the brand.

My preffered gear review site is http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/

So my questions are what's your opinion on it, which source should i listen to, what are your experiences and alpha SV, SL or FL?
Thanks for sharing.

sharperblue

Re: What is it with Arc'teryx?

by sharperblue » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Listen to your wallet; the only piece of gear of theirs I own is a softshell jacket, which is beautifully made and incredibly uncomfortable and about as insulating as a cotton hankerchief, and US$700 - fortunately it was a very generous gift. All in all it does tend to be well made equipment and clothing, but does not even begin to approach being worth the asking price when so many other competitors make a near-equal or superior product (Marmot or Mammut)

divnamite

by divnamite » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:41 pm

For #1:
Arcteryx Alpha SV: $650
Patagonia Super Alpine: $600
Mammut Nordwand Pro: $750
Marmot Cerro Torre: $550
Since you can get all of them on a discount, then price difference will be even smaller.

For #2:
I love my Atom LT and SV.

For #3:
No comment.

no avatar
seb

by seb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:06 am

sharperblue wrote:Listen to your wallet; the only piece of gear of theirs I own is a softshell jacket, which is beautifully made and incredibly uncomfortable and about as insulating as a cotton hankerchief, and US$700 - fortunately it was a very generous gift. All in all it does tend to be well made equipment and clothing, but does not even begin to approach being worth the asking price when so many other competitors make a near-equal or superior product (Marmot or Mammut)

Thankyou number 2 (near enough)

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:43 am

I have a full featured waterproof/breathable shell. It weighs 10 ozs, works well, is durable and cost about $100. A similar Arc'Teryx shell is what, $500? Will it be 5 times more waterproof? 5 times more breathable? Weigh 2 oz? Last 5 times longer? Of course not. Will it work marginally better? Perhaps, but its a jacket. I'd rather save the $400 difference for airfare for my next trip.

FWIW, I owned an Arc'Teryx jacket. The only good thing about it was it fell apart quickly so I could get a different jacket.

Return to Gear