Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

What is the most remote place in your state?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby jfrishmanIII » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Idaho's Frank Church is vast, and I think the Chamberlain Basin area is its most remote section. But the discussion gets complicated in Idaho because you have wilderness airstrips. Folks with planes or money to hire them can and do fly into Chamberlain or Cold Meadows or Moose Creek with coolers of beer for some airplane tailgating, which makes these spots seem a bit less remote than the maps indicate. Moose Creek on a weekend can be downright busy and noisy. Taking airstrips into account, I'd guess some candidates for most inaccessible place in the Frank would be the Shellrock Peak area, Stoddard Lakes area, Sheepeater Mountain west of Chamberlain, or maybe Waugh Mountain and the uppermost basin of the Selway.

As for New Mexico, definitely in the Gila Wilderness, probably around McKenna Park or Mogollon Baldy. Runner up is probably somewhere in the Aldo Leopold.
jfrishmanIII

Postby Tanngrisnir3 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 pm

The Jarbidge Wilderness area and the Steens Mountains area in SE Oregon are pretty damned remote, if being away from population centers is a criterium.

As far as towns go, Antler, ND, population 47, is 41 miles to nearest hospital, the nearest airport is in Minot ND, traditionally one of the coldest places in the country, is 40 mi to the south. The nearest public use airport 18 mi. It's last school closed in 1981, and it's only 5 miles to what amounts to more emptiness, just north of the border.
Tanngrisnir3

Postby jdzaharia » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:As far as towns go, Antler, ND

I would think you could find more remote towns in North Dakota. It all depends on which criteria a person uses. And there are certainly more remote towns in other states.

Supai, Arizona, comes to mind.
jdzaharia

Postby Clark_Griswold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:33 pm

jdzaharia wrote:
Tanngrisnir3 wrote:As far as towns go, Antler, ND

I would think you could find more remote towns in North Dakota. It all depends on which criteria a person uses. And there are certainly more remote towns in other states.

Supai, Arizona, comes to mind.

Fredonia! All hail Fredonia,AZ!!
Clark_Griswold

Postby Ed F » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Interesting thread. I think the problem is defining "remote." Someone mentioned that the ability to fly in a plane or helicopter to a location makes otherwise "remote" places pretty easy to visit. So, would that make wilderness areas (in the US) the best candidates because you can't fly into them (as a private citizen) and have to use human power to travel to them?

As far as places with dwellings, I think parts of southwest Colorado and the four corners region are pretty remote in the sense that you're very far from even medium-sized cities. Take Telluride, CO: 360 miles to Denver, 400 miles to SLC, 300 miles to Albuquerque, 500 to Phoenix. The closest "city" is Montrose, CO, which is still 70 miles. It's 45 miles before you even hit a stoplight. 70 miles to find a Walmart. That's pretty "remote."

As far as the most remote place I've ever "felt" in Utah, it would have to be either Canyonlands NP or the Canyons of the Escalante area of the GSENM. Come to think of it, The Maze District of Canyonlands NP is awfully far from civilization and very difficult to travel through.
Ed F

Postby goldenhopper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 pm

nartreb wrote:In Massachusetts? The maximum straight-line distance from a road is probably about a mile.

That's a real bummer. :(
goldenhopper

Postby mrh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Considering towns, I don't know if its the most remote, but Dixie, Idaho would be a consideration. Much of the year it can only be reached by snowmobile. When the road is open, its an hour drive to a town of about 700 (Elk City) and then an hour and a half drive to Grangeville, population 3,500. Grangeville is the largest town and has the only traffic light between McCall and Lewiston, about a four hour drive.
mrh

Postby BeDrinkable » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:04 pm

mrh wrote:But the most remote area could well be in the Owyhees in the far SW part of the state. Again I don't care to look it up. But the remotest place in the U.S. outside of Alaska is almost certainly in the American Outback, which is the vast empty country where SW Idaho, SE Oregon and northern NV meet.

You could be right, although if you drive 95 often enough you'll notice many MANY roads leading off into the never-never land. Of course during the wet season you couldn't go 10 yards without your tires locking up with gumbo. So if you could find your way into that country during that time, I'd bet you'd be pretty far from another person.
BeDrinkable

Postby nartreb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm

NancyHands wrote:
nartreb wrote:In Massachusetts? The maximum straight-line distance from a road is probably about a mile.

That's a real bummer. :(

You forget that most other states have counties bigger than Massachusetts. One hour north of Boston and you're in New Hampshire. New Hampshire, New York State, and especially Maine have some big tracts where "remoteness" depends on how recently the logging companies maintained the roads - they go un-drivable in just a couple of years, but it takes twenty or so for the trees to grow enough to make the roads hard to find on foot. In the roadless, trailless areas, how hard it is to get somewhere depends on the forest type - you can have open birch glades your grandma could ski through, or spruce thickets where you can hardly see far enough to read the compass in your hand.
nartreb

Postby Diego Sahagún » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Tought we don't have states the most remote place of the autonomous region where I live is near Pico del Lobo:

Diego Sahagún

Postby surgent » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Here's another: Candelaria, Texas. It's a small town of about 30 people at the "dead end" of TX state route FM-170, about 20+ miles from Ruidosa and over 40 from Presidio, which is a good 300+ from El Paso or San Antonio. On the one hand it has a paved route to it, but getting there takes a real effort. Then, there are ranch properties on beyond Candelaria, reachable by dirt 4wd roads.

Check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Miles-Nowhere-Ame ... t_ep_dpi_4

This links to a great book by Dayton Duncan, who wrote about these very remote places in the west.
surgent

Postby Bob Burd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:52 am

Dougb wrote:First you must define "remote". I once heard that the place in CA that is furthest from any road (dirt or paved) is something like 25-ish straight line miles from a road.

Any idea where that might be Doug? Furthest I've noted in the state is about 13mi from a road...
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General