What really motivates us

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
EricChu

What really motivates us

by EricChu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 am

I don't know how many of you have already seen this video - I found it quite interesting, I must say! It reminds me also of us SummitPosters...here's the link (as embedding doesn't seem to work here): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:17 am

If you've ever seen physics students going through multiple post-docs just to get some half-assed academic position, you seen the movie.

EricChu

by EricChu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 am

MoapaPk wrote:If you've ever seen physics students going through multiple post-docs just to get some half-assed academic position, you seen the movie.
No, I don't think that this is the point...the topic in the movie is very clearly about people willing to do creative, autonomous work for free, without any reward expectations of any kind - simply in order to contribute something that is their own and carries their identity. Let me give you an example also from my world, the world of classical music. The best example I can think of is Ludwig van Beethoven. Non of the works he wrote simply on commission, out of pecuniary needs, are among his best. The symphonies, the "Hammerklavier" sonata, the late string quartets and many others among the really great works he wrote being driven by a completely different motivation. Hector Berlioz also points out this issue very clearly in his biography.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 am

Negative!

More like this kind of shit Motivates my Ass!

EricChu

by EricChu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 am

The Chief wrote:Negative!

More like this kind of shit Motivates my Ass!
Good vid, that one - I had the best laugh! :D

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 am

EricChu wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:If you've ever seen physics students going through multiple post-docs just to get some half-assed academic position, you seen the movie.
No, I don't think that this is the point...the topic in the movie is very clearly about people willing to do creative, autonomous work for free, without any reward expectations of any kind - simply in order to contribute something that is their own and carries their identity. Let me give you an example also from my world, the world of classical music. The best example I can think of is Ludwig van Beethoven. Non of the works he wrote simply on commission, out of pecuniary needs, are among his best. The symphonies, the "Hammerklavier" sonata, the late string quartets and many others among the really great works he wrote being driven by a completely different motivation. Hector Berlioz also points out this issue very clearly in his biography.

Excellent point and consistent with my observations of the greater human (which I equate with animal) spirit as well, but at a small sliver of a percentage of the greater population of our species (genetic selection all but no longer in existence). Most simple are not motivated by any suggestion.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 am

EricChu wrote:
No, I don't think that this is the point...the topic in the movie is very clearly about people willing to do creative, autonomous work for free, without any reward expectations of any kind - simply in order to contribute something that is their own and carries their identity.

Same thing, but with a positive spin.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 am

Here's More Shit that very much motivates this Human....

simonov

by simonov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 am

I come here for the lulz.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 am

Where would the world be without creativity?

Geez, guess this puts more pressure on me to become more creative.

:shock:

simonov

by simonov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:05 am

lcarreau wrote:Where would the world be without creativity?

Geez, guess this puts more pressure on me to become more creative.

:shock:

I was a cartoonist and graphic designer long ago, and majored in art in college.

Today I express my creativity by inventing and designing tactical shotgun accessories.

Funny how life happens.

EricChu

by EricChu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 am

The Chief wrote:Here's More Shit that very much motivates this Human....
I don't see this as being shit, I find it pretty remarkable what this Ueli Stecker has achieved, and the entirely clean method he has of climbing these mountains...some people say he has no respect for the mountains...sorry, I don't know what these people are talking about. He climbs them without leaving any litter whatsoever behind - not even pegs!

EricChu

by EricChu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 am

jschrock wrote:Image
Hmmm...yes, Nutella used to be a motivation factor for me, but ever since I have to watch out 'cause of my waistline, that falls more under the category "tempi passati"...

Charles

by Charles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 am

I agree with what he´s saying there. Also when people have their needs coverred (food, warmth etc) more whealth doesn´t make for more happiness or satisfaction.

As for chief´s links - good those!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:14 pm

I left the BEST MOTIVATOR for last.

You are absolutely right, it ain't no shit. Just great examples of the positive powerful energy that motivates a select few of us to head out and climb daily ... just for the simple joy of doing so.

It is documented accomplishments like the one above and the rest that I posted, that remind me on a regular basis why I love climbing so much. More importantly, why I do it and have done so for most of this life here on earth.

God I love that guy... what a daily inspiration he is to carry on, continue to apply my all, never losing site of the real precious goal and to go forth and do it, daily.

Next

Return to General