Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

What's New in CALIFORNIA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby Brian Kalet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:38 pm

I updated my Avalanche Gulch page.
User Avatar
Brian Kalet

 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:43 pm
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby Deb » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:If I may, here be my newest page: http://www.summitpost.org/north-baldy-r ... 80m/683345

Behold its endless prowess and such things! More photos going up later. Any tips on how to improve it are welcome. Negative crap will result in the page being named after you or something.

There is beer to be drinkded, I must go...

Take a break, dude! You've found/created/made/harassed every lateral 10' of Baldy! Has the mountain called the Rape Crisis Center yet? :roll:
User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3035
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Location: Bishop, California, United States
Thanked: 178 times in 106 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 pm

I like your route photo on your Baldy page TDR.

Put up my first mountain pages outside the Sierra in the past week.

A replacement for the previous Glass Mountain page, a short hike but actually very enjoyable and nice views. Was my favorite day of that weekend.
http://www.summitpost.org/glass-mountain/682716
Image

and a page for Smith Mountain in Death Valley National Park. Sweeping view of the valley from the top.
http://www.summitpost.org/smith-mountain/683543
Image
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4229
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1220 times in 827 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby NewDayRising » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 pm

KathyW wrote:I deleted Mount Bago, Mount Rixford, Mount Pickering, and Pilot Knob in the Sierra - I'm not sure if I had pages on any other Sierra Peaks.

I deleted Tin Mountain, Dry Mountain, Canyon Point, Black Butte, Orocopia, Eagle (JT), and a few other desert peaks.

I deleted some other mountains in California too, but I'm getting old and can't remember the rest of the mountain pages I deleted (I probably had about 20 mountain pages); so there are some re-openings for those who are willing to create and maintain California mountain pages. I liked creating them, but I never was interested in maintaining the ones I created and you have to be willing to do both.


Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore. Most of the information I'm deleting can be viewed at my Smugmug site.
User Avatar
NewDayRising

 
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:37 pm
Thanked: 19 times in 17 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby SoCalHiker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 am

NewDayRising wrote:Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore. Most of the information I'm deleting can be viewed at my Smugmug site.


yeah, someone, who seemingly selfishly deleted all contributions without even asking others whether they might be interested in adopting them...
User Avatar
SoCalHiker

 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 147 times in 88 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby rhyang » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 am

SoCalHiker wrote:
NewDayRising wrote:Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore. Most of the information I'm deleting can be viewed at my Smugmug site.


yeah, someone, who seemingly selfishly deleted all contributions without even asking others whether they might be interested in adopting them...


Just so you guys know -- KathyW has been bagging peaks for a long time. The info she contributed was hers, and hers to delete.

I for one am sorry to see her go, but it's equally sad to see people here who think their "achievements" in this virtual world are somehow more important than the real one.
Taaaake !
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:39 am

I am sorry to see KathyW dropping out. I've used her reports for beta may times; but I normally go directly to her trip reports on other sites. Her reports on other sites have a human touch, and are generally more informative than stuff on summitpost, which tends to be constrained by formal and unspoken rules. I guess that says something about the SP format, or me.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7669
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 761 times in 494 posts

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
robot one

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby Augie Medina » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 am

Deb wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:If I may, here be my newest page: http://www.summitpost.org/north-baldy-r ... 80m/683345

Behold its endless prowess and such things! More photos going up later. Any tips on how to improve it are welcome. Negative crap will result in the page being named after you or something.

There is beer to be drinkded, I must go...

Take a break, dude! You've found/created/made/harassed every lateral 10' of Baldy! Has the mountain called the Rape Crisis Center yet? :roll:


Baldy has that "come hither" look from all directions. Men can't help themselves. Good work TDR.
User Avatar
Augie Medina

 
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:56 pm
Location: South Pasadena, California, United States
Thanked: 10 times in 7 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:19 am

rhyang wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:
NewDayRising wrote:Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore. Most of the information I'm deleting can be viewed at my Smugmug site.


yeah, someone, who seemingly selfishly deleted all contributions without even asking others whether they might be interested in adopting them...


Just so you guys know -- KathyW has been bagging peaks for a long time. The info she contributed was hers, and hers to delete.

I for one am sorry to see her go, but it's equally sad to see people here who think their "achievements" in this virtual world are somehow more important than the real one.

Point one- it wasn't all hers, at least some of it was straight from DPS Road and Peak Guide, including multiple errors. That isn't the main point though so I'm not going to get into it unless you need evidence.

More importantly, no one said she should be able to delete her content from the pages if she didn't want to allow others to build on it. I doubt too many folks would care. What she should have done though, and what would have been less selfish, would be to edit the page blank and leave it blank if that was what she really wanted. If she had done that, then the empty page could still be adopted, and the new owner could rebuild it. There would be the bonus that other members' contributions (including summit logs, routes, photos, trip reports, and corrections) would remain attached without being lost or orphaned. That way she keeps her content but the rest remains together as the page is rebuilt.

It really isn't complicated. It's just about leaving gracefully and with the slightest bit of thought towards others.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4229
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1220 times in 827 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby SoCalHiker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 am

rhyang wrote:Just so you guys know -- KathyW has been bagging peaks for a long time. The info she contributed was hers, and hers to delete.


Does not make one bit of a difference. It would have been a nice touch to ask before deleting.

And I am aware of her smugmug site since many years. I have even been hiking with her on one of her organized meetup trips.
User Avatar
SoCalHiker

 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 147 times in 88 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:41 am

I like how my thread got off track twice in the past two pages.
Last edited by mrchad9 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4229
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1220 times in 827 posts

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 am

Looks like Marc put up another good San Ysidro page:

http://www.summitpost.org/face-lift-5-7-10a/683648
Image

and Noondueler put up one for Daylight Castle in Death Valley:

http://www.summitpost.org/daylight-castle/682595
Image
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4229
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1220 times in 827 posts

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.