Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

What's New in CALIFORNIA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby KathyW » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 am

MoapaPk wrote:I am sorry to see KathyW dropping out. I've used her reports for beta may times; but I normally go directly to her trip reports on other sites. Her reports on other sites have a human touch, and are generally more informative than stuff on summitpost, which tends to be constrained by formal and unspoken rules. I guess that says something about the SP format, or me.

and I often go to your site for information when planning an excursion.

I'm still around, but less involved. I will continue to post info on the forum if I think I can post something that will be helpful to others - such as answering questions about current conditions if I've been in the area a person is asking about. Call me selfish, but I never even considered transferring the crappy pages I had here on summitpost. Most of them were not the most popular peaks and didn't have many people's photos or other data attached to them. The desert peaks I had don't really need new pages here - all the info is in the DPS guide or Zdon's book and they aren't very expensive to buy.

The weather is much chillier around here than it used to be in the old days - oh well, maybe it has something to do with climate change or maybe the MLC has infiltrated the ranks of Summitpost.

Anyway, what's new in California?
KathyW

The following user would like to thank KathyW for this post
NewDayRising

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:28 am

KathyW wrote:Anyway, what's new in California?

Well I am glad you asked KathyW!

5UGNST1 put up a nice new page on Buttermilk Hill, just west of Bishop. The photos are kickass.

http://www.summitpost.org/buttermilk-hill/681856
mrchad9

Postby goldenhopper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 am

Is anyone familiar with Ladyface in the Santa Monica Mountains? I've always wanted to put a page together for it. It's been a very popular peak in the Agoura Hills area since I was a kid. Even has a great spring-fed pond with perhaps the best tasting water I've ever shlurped billowing up from the depths. Ok - I gotta do this already.

Summit from the ridge (HWY 101 below):
goldenhopper

Postby fedak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 am

On the verge of saying, way to go, K, I am of similar views. This is one sick website! Bad information, bad vibes, and no climbing. Shame that your good info has to appear right next to the bad, but then it's the Net.

Pete, you are personally responsible for a very large fraction of the bad vibes on the California portion of this forum.
For someone who seems to hate this place, you spend an inordinate amount of time here pissing and moaning.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html
fedak

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
JasonH

Postby thegib » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:50 am

Kathy W is one my favorite posters. Beautiful pictures, timely and helpful info, and zero attitude. Summitpost CA will be diminished if she goes. If it's the lunatic/annoying/disparaging 1000pks that's responsible for her leaving - then I encourage the "elves" to f'ing man up and ban him.
thegib

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:29 am

thegib wrote:Kathy W is one my favorite posters. Beautiful pictures, timely and helpful info, and zero attitude. Summitpost CA will be diminished if she goes. If it's the lunatic/annoying/disparaging 1000pks that's responsible for her leaving - then I encourage the "elves" to f'ing man up and ban him.

The latter half of your statement could not be a more incorrect assumption on your part. It does not do much to lend credibility towards the opinion you expressed immediately beforehand.
mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Pete has been pretty friendly and encouraging to Kathy in the past.

Now we return to our sponsored program, which is already in progress.
MoapaPk

Postby Marmaduke » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:24 pm

1000Pks wrote:
If it's the lunatic/annoying/disparaging 1000pks that's responsible for her leaving - then I encourage the "elves" to f'ing man up and ban him.

I've heard nothing about that. I visit K's smugmug site regularly and admire the photos and wherewithall. Comments constantly like the previous sicko one no doubt keep many away from SP. There's probably hundreds of contributors that do not because of the sick mindless attacks as I get.

I apologize in advance Chad for using this thread to make these statements. Maybe if this was to go further a new thread could be started ("piss & moan).

With all do respect Pete, you are consistantly posting strange and bizarre thoughts. Conspiritorial, negative, demeaning, pompous, did I say bizarre, posts are your mantra. For someone who has experienced so much you could actually be productive towards this site, towards others and towards your insights. But you chose the forementioned. I would be willing to bet that your comments leave more SPers in a state of puzzlement not Kathy W. Try finding a "happy place" and go there Pete.
Marmaduke

Postby thegib » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:28 pm

At least I included an "If"! before disparaging 1000pks. Oh well, sorry to see KW go for reasons everyone else knows about.
thegib

Postby HeyItsBen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Maybe everyone should work on improving the vibe here rather than pointing fingers before more valued members decide to bail. I also appreciated Kathy's contributions,and maybe she'll come back around if we can stop acting like children (it was all Mattski, wasn't it? :D ). Seriously guys, take your bickering elsewhere. This is a cool thread for us "best-coasters."

That being said, and to put Mrchad's thread back on track, here are my first contributions:

http://www.summitpost.org/mile-high-mountain/683475

http://www.summitpost.org/coyote-mountain/683359

Let me know what you guys think, and if any improvements can be made. I would have taken better pics at the time if I had thought of adding the pages, but I believe I've added enough to get the peaks done smoothly. One thing I try to concentrate on, is finding the trailhead. Sounds simple, but on some of these obscure desert peaks, I sometimes question whether I'm even starting at the right place.

I have 30+ more I could add, but haven't for the same reason Kathy gave for deleting some of her peaks. They are unpopular peaks that really don't require very much beta, and will probably never have more than a few photos. Not sure if SP needs to be clogged up with every peak known to man, but let me know what you guys think. Wish I could contribute something more significant, but its slim pickings these days...
HeyItsBen

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Those are nice pages Benjamin, I had overlooked them before. I think the content is very good, you have maps (so many people lack that), the route stats, and seemingly good directions. It has everything needed if someone is looking to go there.

I try to make part of the page is about enticing folks to go there (speaking more of a mountain page than a route page). True many of these are less frequented peaks, but maybe if the best of the area can be shown, more folks will spread out and visit less frequented areas. For that reason I would suggest maybe adding 3-5 more of the best photos you have (if you have them), but not 30. And if you integrate a couple of the best ones into the text, it might make someone stop on the page a little longer and perhaps consider a trip they weren't before. If you want to do that, put some photos in the text, and need help let me know.
mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Benjamin's page has about all you need to get there... but it might be nice to have a few summit shots. I was on Rabbit last week, and wondered what it would look like from Mile-High (and also wondered why Rosa Point is on the DPS list!).
MoapaPk

PreviousNext

Return to California