Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

What's New in CALIFORNIA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Has anybody considered taking up Old Dad, one of KW's old pages? I generally don't do many pages, especially if the peaks are already well-described in Zdon or the DPS guide. However, I did do an "unusual" route on Old Dad, so might consider at least adding some route information.
MoapaPk

Postby HeyItsBen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:59 pm

I'll take a look through my photos again, but I didn't take very many and I remember thinking the ones I did take weren't very good. I may have a summit shot though... I will be in the area again soon so I'll try to get some more photos when I'm there. MrChad, I was also thinking it would be nice to integrate a photo in the text, I'll work on it within a few days. Should be easy enough to figure out, but I'll hit you up if I run into problems, thank you.

Moapa, you didn't like Rosa? I'm not super familiar with the DPS list, but I thought the views looking east from Rosa were some of the best in the range. I also thought the S.Ridge route was more fun/challenging mile-for-mile than the hike up Villager/Rabbit...steeper/rockier...

Did you find my canteen? :D Haha...
HeyItsBen

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:54 pm

benjamingray wrote:Moapa, you didn't like Rosa? I'm not super familiar with the DPS list, but I thought the views looking east from Rosa were some of the best in the range. I also thought the S.Ridge route was more fun/challenging mile-for-mile than the hike up Villager/Rabbit...steeper/rockier...

Did you find my canteen? :D Haha...

(more off topic, mea culpa!) I didn't go up Rosa-- It's a long drive, and we just did a quick up to Rabbit over Villager and out. One person had talked about going over to Mile High also, but there was absolutely no moon, we had less than 11 hrs between civil twilights, I had an injured ankle, and I didn't want to hike after dark. Afterward when I looked at the topo, it looked like Rosa had very little prominence, so I wondered why it was on the list. It's a long drive for me, so I doubt I'll go back for it. I guess a summit picture might have convinced me otherwise. ;)
MoapaPk

Postby Ze » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 am

Rosa Pt plus Pyramid Peak makes a nice loop. Definitely worth being a peak IMO.

Created in late October but added a mountain page for Triplet Rocks. Maybe little prominence, but uh certainly requires enough effort to be deemed a peak :)
Ze

Postby HeyItsBen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:55 am

TacoDelRio wrote:Good stuff as always, Ben!

Thanks man! Always enjoy your stuff, nice to see some rather adventerous outings in the San Gs!

Ze wrote:Rosa Pt plus Pyramid Peak makes a nice loop. Definitely worth being a peak IMO.

I had considered putting a page up for Pyramid, didn't have the photos for it though. Cool peak with many approach/loop options...

Triplet looks interesting, thanks for posting! Might have to check that one out sometime soon...
HeyItsBen

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Here's a page in the Alabama Hills by Marc...

http://www.summitpost.org/elephant-rock ... zza/684678

and one for Fremont Peak by 1000Peaks, with a few more photos added yesterday...

http://www.summitpost.org/fremont-peak-ca/684985

The latter still needs a couple shots from the summit!
mrchad9

Postby Bubba Suess » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Here is a Northern California classic that needed a page:

Deadfall Lakes Trail to the summit of Mount Eddy.

Bubba Suess

Postby 96avs01 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:13 pm

NancyHands wrote:Is anyone familiar with Ladyface in the Santa Monica Mountains? I've always wanted to put a page together for it. It's been a very popular peak in the Agoura Hills area since I was a kid. ... Ok - I gotta do this already.

I've been up there once, some real nice scrambling options if one is so inclined. Was actually quite surprised that there wasn't an existing SP page when I went looking for beta.
96avs01

Postby granjero » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:14 am

Just added a page for Emerald Point (arguably subsidiary peak of Jake's, but it is well defined in various ways and a ways away so what the heck)
http://www.summitpost.org/emerald-point/689887
Enjoy!
granjero

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Another great page in Joshua Tree up today from Marcsoltan. But where's the plug for the Thai buffet???

Horror Rocks:
http://www.summitpost.org/north-and-sou ... cks/695948

And Noondueler put up San Pablo Ridge (Bay Area). A great daytrip, especially while the hills are green.

http://www.summitpost.org/san-pablo-ridge/694981

Two SP members have put up their first mountain pages ever:

Greg Enright with Mammoth Crest

http://www.summitpost.org/mammoth-crest/695333

The Mammoth Crest page could use a little more info, and a few photos. I'm not sure I would do the trip based on the info on this page alone. A map would go a long way.

iditarod81's first page is Double Peak near San Diego.

http://www.summitpost.org/double-peak/695201

The Double Peak page actually has a lot of good information there. But it too could use a few more photos. That and splitting some of the info in the overview section into different parts would spiff the page up a bit and draw more attention. I like that she has included comments on the native plants in the area.
mrchad9

Postby Bubba Suess » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

I just reposted Hood Mountain, a classic Sonoma County Peak that was deleted recently.

Bubba Suess

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
Fredd C Dobbs

PreviousNext

Return to California