What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
effectsofaltitude

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by effectsofaltitude » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 am

Anyone have any LOCAL plans for the Holidays?

Rock....Ice... Bushwacks.... whatever. So far all I have in the works is a trip down to the Red River Gorge, in December; and I may try to make the pilgrimage up to Icefest in February.

I keep waiting for a Midwest SP gathering, but it never seems to materialize. Guess i'll just have to "man up" and join the CMC (or do they still require your first born?)

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm

I took a header during an ice storm here in Minneapolis on Sunday. Kocked me out cold and I don't quite know how long I was laying in the street/sidewalk before the cops came and got me an ambulance. This photo was taken just after. It looks a lot worse today now that the swelling has kicked in :oops:

aedwards

by aedwards » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Tonka wrote:I took a header during an ice storm here in Minneapolis on Sunday. Kocked me out cold and I don't quite know how long I was laying in the street/sidewalk before the cops came and got me an ambulance. This photo was taken just after. It looks a lot worse today now that the swelling has kicked in :oops:

Ouch! What mode of transport?

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I was wearing some light winter boots, walking.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 am

peladoboton wrote:i propose we get a thread going on midwest ice climbing...whats in, who is going, who has tools etc to loan...lots of potential here

I could get behind that. Gonna be awhile before we have ice in Illinois though. Anyone want to post a list of the dates of the ice festivals for those of us too lazy to do it ourselves?...

Also, I'm looking for recommendations/beta for a couple nights of backpacking and snowshoeing in the Porkies or thereabout in the UP, if anyone has suggestions.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
peladoboton wrote:i propose we get a thread going on midwest ice climbing...whats in, who is going, who has tools etc to loan...lots of potential here

I could get behind that. Gonna be awhile before we have ice in Illinois though. Anyone want to post a list of the dates of the ice festivals for those of us too lazy to do it ourselves?...

Also, I'm looking for recommendations/beta for a couple nights of backpacking and snowshoeing in the Porkies or thereabout in the UP, if anyone has suggestions.

Not sure about that but one of my buddies and I will be heading up to the UP to do some ice climbing a few times in the next few months if your interested.

aedwards

by aedwards » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Do it up!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 am

I haven't been climbing much and to poor to travel but have been going insane with tricklining. Started bouldering at a friend's sick as **** barn. F paying for a crappy boulder set at a gym.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 am

outofstep80 wrote:Not sure about that but one of my buddies and I will be heading up to the UP to do some ice climbing a few times in the next few months if your interested.

Definitely interested. Let me know.

aedwards

by aedwards » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Heading up to Nipigon to do some ice climbing in about a month. Quite excited about that.
Hoping the ice shapes up around here soon!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Man Tonka, I hope your feeling better, and your new jacket is doing great after your wild encounter!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

evanj

Re:

by evanj » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:02 am

breagen wrote:I just added a page on Blue Mounds, MN... And am about to embark on a crags of Iowa quest... which of course means like 3... so it wont take long I guess

I still need to get out there, thanks for the beta! There's some quality photos too.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 pm

A whole lot of frickin snow. Biggest since 89 is what I heard.

aedwards

by aedwards » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Any midwesterners climbing ice yet?

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)