Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

whats the hardest mountain climbing route in the world

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: whats the hardest mountain climbing route in the world

Postby Bob Sihler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Anything I climb is hard. Anything you climb is easy.
Bob's Law: The rationality of a person is inversely proportional to the number of political and religious bumper stickers on his car. Around bumper-sticker warriors, smile, speak calmly, and get the hell away as fast as possible.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Diggler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Mr Leghorn wrote:The one that has a route composed of pure diamond. So hard that pitons were never able to be inserted, and other than the fracture crack which ascends the entire route, it is a shear un-weathered wall which is as smooth as glass. I have heard rumors in the climbing community that De Beers Diamonds wanted to mine the rare vein worth over 500 trillion US dollars, but it and it's location is protected. Only climbers who know someone who can tell them how to get there are aware of it, and anyone who publicly divulges the location may be killed. I may have said too much already.

My agents are on their way- I'd suggest you start saying good bye to your loved ones.
Diggler

Postby JHH60 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 pm

While I'm certainly not qualified to judge, many say that the hardest route in North America, and one of the hardest in the world, is Mt. Logan's Hummingbird Ridge. Mt. Logan has similar conditions to Denali; it's the second highest mountain in N. America, and has more elevation gain than Mt. Everest. The Hummingbird Ridge has never been repeated since its first ascent in the 60s, and required something like a month on the route. A number of people have died trying to repeat it.
Last edited by JHH60 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JHH60

Postby Buz Groshong » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Mr Leghorn wrote:The one that has a route composed of pure diamond. So hard that pitons were never able to be inserted, and other than the fracture crack which ascends the entire route, it is a shear un-weathered wall which is as smooth as glass. I have heard rumors in the climbing community that De Beers Diamonds wanted to mine the rare vein worth over 500 trillion US dollars, but it and it's location is protected. Only climbers who know someone who can tell them how to get there are aware of it, and anyone who publicly divulges the location may be killed. I may have said too much already.

The hardest part of that route, though, is dodging the black helicopters. Covering your helmet and clothes with aluminum foil helps keep them from spotting you (and protects you from the rays that they shoot at you). A friend of mine was going to try titanium pitons with tungsten carbide tips, but he disappeared shortly after he.........................
Buz Groshong

Postby Buz Groshong » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:If you're serious, then it's impossible to measure.

If not, Mount Sunflower.

Actually it's the route up Rock Reef Pass in Everglades NP. The pass is a whopping 3 feet above sea level!
Buz Groshong

Postby dskoon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 pm

JHH60 wrote:While I'm certainly not qualified to judge, many say that the hardest route in North America, and one of the hardest in the world, is Mt. Logan's Hummingbird Ridge. Mt. Logan has similar conditions to Denali; it's the second highest mountain in N. America, and has more elevation gain than Mt. Everest. The Hummingbird Ridge has never been repeated since its first ascent in the 60s, and required something like a month on the route. A number of people have died trying to repeat it.

I've heard the same about this route. . . Gnarly as can be.
dskoon

Postby thespiffy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Never heard of this route, I had to look it up. (Hummingbird Ridge)

I found a picture of the route in The American Alpine Journal;

http://books.google.com/books?id=_bRSqS ... te&f=false

:shock:

Edited to add below comment;

I was in a local shop last night, picked up A31 and thumbed through it. I landed right on a page discussing Mt Logan and it also touches on the Hummingbird Ridge route if anyone is interested.

Table of contents can be found here; http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP31
Last edited by thespiffy on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespiffy

Postby Tangeman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:43 am

Now I feel like I know too much...

Hey, I've never seen that car in this neighborhood before...
Tangeman

Postby Ski Mountaineer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:35 am

Impossible to tell. A personal "favourite" of mine is the climb of the Shinning Wall, Gasherbrum IV, by Schauer & Kurtyka.
Ski Mountaineer

Postby JHH60 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 am

thespiffy wrote:Never heard of this route, I had to look it up. (Hummingbird Ridge)

I found a picture of the route in The American Alpine Journal;

http://books.google.com/books?id=_bRSqS ... te&f=false

:shock:

There are plenty of other routes in North America which are technically harder but none with higher commitment level (or so say some pretty good alpine climbers, like Jeff Lowe). Mugs Stump and Jim Logan, who later made the first ascent of the Emperor Face of Mt. Robson, were among those who tried to repeat it and were turned back.
JHH60

Postby Noondueler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 am

JasonH wrote:Image
Why, that's not a mountain! That's a can of phylum annelida! Maybe you needhttp://www.fishing.com/
Noondueler

Postby adventurer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:18 pm

The West Face Direct route on K2
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener
adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to General