Wheeler Peak Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
punchline

Re: Wheeler Peak Conditions

by punchline » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:59 am

That was my post from early last week. We did go down the Williams Lake side. I chose to use snowshoes down from the summit but took them off eventually. My husband never wore his down and was doing a bit of postholing so decided to glissade down in several areas. There was another man that we met at the summit that had come up Williams Lake in trail runners only. He didn't have snowshoes with him so I would agree that boots and gaiters would probably be fine - just be prepared for some postholing.

The following user would like to thank punchline for this post
elhefe007a, jdzaharia

no avatar
GreaseMonkey77

by GreaseMonkey77 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 pm

I climbed wheeler yesterday. Bull of the woods trail was snowed under in several places, but we were able to hike around the snow and get back to the trail. The main places are around frazier mountain and also in the La Cal basin. We had to go off trail in the basin and crawl through about 20 yards of waist deep snow, but it wasn't too bad. FWIW there were lots of other people on the peak and they had all come from the Williams Lake side. From what they said, it was also snowed under but it was possible to hike around the snow. Good luck!

elhefe007a

by elhefe007a » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:42 am

Went up Williams Lake to summit today. No snow equipment needed. Route finding below treeline is a tad tricky due to the easy to go over and fast melting snow. Above treeline only a handful of snow spots actually hits the trail. Can still find a glissade spot or two near the trail to cut down on some switchbacks on the way down, but I doubt for much longer.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:32 pm

I was up there on Saturday, the 7th. Went up Bull of the Woods. Snow conditions as others had mentioned. We used gaiters, but most of the snow was firm enough to step in others' tracks. Half of our group turned back just before Frazer Mountain. Late start (8:10 am), physical condition, and ominous clouds were factors. Two of us continued, cut higher than the trail across La Cal Basin to avoid snow, and summited just as the weather was getting pretty bad. I'm guessing we were the last ones to summit that day, leaving the summit at 2:00 pm. Down Williams Lake Trail, got to treeline about the time the lightning, rain, sleet, graupel started. Enjoyed a beer at the Bavarian, a soak in the hot tub at Alpine Village Suites, a great meal at Sabroso, just west of Arroyo Seco, and a peaceful sleep next to the Rio Hondo at Cuchilla campground.

I've pondered it, looking at it on the topo maps, and now studied it in person, but instead of dumping down into La Cal Basin, couldn't one stay on top of the ridge south of Frazer Mountain, skirt the west side of La Cal Basin, and meet back up with the trail just north of Mount Walter? Seems like it would be a neat ridge walk with minimal elevation loss.

crussellbowden

by crussellbowden » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:13 am

Any recent updates on this peak? I'd love to give it a go within the next two weeks. I have crampons and snowshoes that I'm willing to use. I'd like to take the Williams Lake TH, and I'd REALLY like to do the sick Kachina-Wheeler traverse that SPer sturdilyubov posted.

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)