When you buy new gear.....

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Denjem

When you buy new gear.....

by Denjem » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 pm

When you buy new gear, what do you take into concideration? What are the most important attributes you are looking for? I personally like some thing that can do a few things well. When you start getting things that do everything, they usually suck at ervything. But you will go broke buying a specialized piece for evrything too. I am drawn to certain brands. I want things to work well for me when I am out. I have some brands that I have got gear from and it has never let me down. I am ok paying a little more to get a good item that will last, perform well, and fits well. I don't mind paying a little more for a tent that has a fly and pole option that works. A jacket that stays put and protects because some one put some thought into it. Patagonia and Arcteyx are some of the brands I like. I know they are expensive but that isn't why I buy them. Black Diamond makes the best trek poles, some of the best tents, and most of the best climbing gear. I have a western mountaineering sleeping bag because when it says 20 degrees it means 20 degrees. I know price comes up a lot on this site. Is that the most persuasive factor for most of you? Do you shy away from some brands because they are expensive and you don't want to look like a douch being decked out in expensive clothing and gear? Do you look at reviews to no end on the internet? Or do you know what you like in gear and try to find something that fits your idea? Do you go to a gear shop and look, or are you an iternet surfer? Are there brands you hate? Why do you hate them. I know plenty of people hate Arcteryx because of price. What is your favorite piece of gear? Are you a gadget person or a minmalist. If you are a minimalist, what are your nessesities? Please give explanations as to why you love, hate, or anything else. I am just curious. :lol:

Roots

Re: When you buy new gear.....

by Roots » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:10 pm

First and foremost - gear is only expensive in the store. When you get outside you don't care what it cost but whether it works.

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Mostly I look for the lowest price on the specific gear that I want. Spadout is handy. %20 off of MSRP is a minimum for internet shopping. Second hand is okay for certain things too.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 pm

I look at how many ounces it weighs.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Dow Williams, goldenhopper

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 am

I research to insure that when shit hits the fan, the stuff will work as advertised and keep my ass alive regardless of weight. Gear can be the lightest on the planet but when mother Nature decides to hail it's fury on me, if it doesn't work as it states it will, it's just a fashion gear show that is worth absolutely nothing.

Been through many a lightweight pieces of gear that lasted seconds when presented to the reality of alpine & wall climbing. Ripped, torn, blown seams, shredded etc.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Kenneth.alone, norco17

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:05 am

Interesting, Chad posts that he looks at weight and Dow (who is extremely experienced at climbing gives a thanks to Chad's post. Then The Chief follows with his post that basically says the weight is meaningless. And The Chief is extemely worthy of listening to his opinion as well. So what does that tell ya'?

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:12 am

My focus in a gear purchase is (in order of priority):
1. Need (do I really need it?O)
2. Functionality/utility (will it work for MY application)
3. Price (obviously lower is better)
4. Weight (a minor consideration)

When I was complaining about the cost of good boots to my wife, she told me to divide the cost by 10 to detemine the cost per toe. The boots didn't seem so expensive then.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:18 am

Marmaduke wrote:Interesting, Chad posts that he looks at weight and Dow (who is extremely experienced at climbing gives a thanks to Chad's post. Then The Chief follows with his post that basically says the weight is meaningless. And The Chief is extemely worthy of listening to his opinion as well. So what does that tell ya'?

It tells me that it all depends on what the discipline is that one is shopping for.

Lightweight Spring-Fall PCT/ATC Hike through backpacking, weekend summer warm weather peak bagging, full on Winter Alpine climbs, Big Wall adventures, full on High Alt Big Mountain Expeditions. Each one necessitates a whole different type look at gear and it's ability to withstand the elements and environment in which one will encounter.

Again, IMO, this is should not be a fashion/gear "how light can I go" show. Rather, is the gear gonna work and do it's job to keep me comfortable and alive for the challenge I am planning to undertake.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:26 am

The Chief wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Interesting, Chad posts that he looks at weight and Dow (who is extremely experienced at climbing gives a thanks to Chad's post. Then The Chief follows with his post that basically says the weight is meaningless. And The Chief is extemely worthy of listening to his opinion as well. So what does that tell ya'?

It tells me that it all depends on what the discipline is that one is shopping for.

Lightweight Spring-Fall backpacking, weekend summer warm weather peak bagging, full on Winter Alpine climbs, Big Wall adventures, full on High Alt Big Mountain Expeditions. Each one necessitates a whole different type look at gear and it's ability to withstand the elements and environment in which one will encounter.

Again, IMO, this is should not be a fashion/gear "how light can I go" show. Rather, is the gear gonna work and do it's job to keep me comfortable and alive for the challenge I am planning to undertake.

Great clarification Chief, makes total sense. Just out of curiosity, can you say about the weight difference between two packs that were set up for a week of summer to fall hiking/climbing and a pack for a winter hike?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 am

Depends on the load (size) you expect to take and what kind of climbing.

Shouldn't be more than pound at the most as there are many "lightweight" pack materials out there now that can handle some real hard abuse.

Vaude Rock 55 (3.9 lbs) and Vaude Astra Light 60 (4.1lbs) are my packs of choice for all my alpine/ice climbing and guiding gigs.

Cilo Gear has some nice lightweight (same as the Vaude packs I use) tough stuff as well but is a bit too pricey for me.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:19 am

The Chief wrote:Depends on the load (size) you expect to take and what kind of climbing.

Shouldn't be more than pound at the most as there are many "lightweight" pack materials out there now that can handle some real hard abuse.

Vaude Rock 55 (3.9 lbs) and Vaude Astra Light 60 (4.1lbs) are my packs of choice for all my alpine/ice climbing and guiding gigs.

Cilo Gear has some nice lightweight (same as the Vaude packs I use) tough stuff as well but is a bit too pricey for me.

Sorry for not being more clear. That was my question, total pack weight between a summer and a winter pack. I guess there are too many variables to answer that. I have been on only 3 weeknd trips so far and each time my pack weight right around 40 pounds. That seems pretty heavy for just a weekend trip (summer/fall) .. My pack itself weighs only 3 lbs 14 onces, my tent a tad heavy, 5 lbs 14 onces, so I think I have some weight to shed.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:47 am

The Chief wrote:Depends on the load (size) you expect to take and what kind of climbing.

LOL.

Looks like you consider weight as much as I do, in spite of your previous post.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:01 am

mrchad9 wrote:Looks like you consider weight as much as I do, in spite of your previous post.

Ah... no.

It is a generic term these days. Lightweight meaning compact/simple in design and not, weight. 3.9 to 4.1 pounds for a 55-60 litre pack is not light by any means considering what "Superlight" gear is out there these days.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:23 am

The Chief wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Looks like you consider weight as much as I do, in spite of your previous post.

Ah... no.

It is a generic term these days. Lightweight meaning compact/simple in design and not, weight. 3.9 to 4.1 pounds for a 55-60 litre pack is not light by any means considering what "Superlight" gear is out there these days.

I said I look at how much it weighs, not that I necessarily select the lightest item available. If something weighs more then there better be some benefit to it.

It seems you consider your purchases in a similar manner. That's ok.

Luc

by Luc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Quality:
Materials, workmanship, warranty (company should stand behind their products), life expectancy.

Practicality/design:
Does it fill my needs, can it do more, is it versatile, is it better than other products? Weight, simplicity, repairable/serviceable, no useless crap.

Ethical/social:
Where is it made, where are the materials coming from, what kind of standing does the company have?

Next

Return to Gear