WHERE DID ALL THE LOCALS GO?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Garfimi

WHERE DID ALL THE LOCALS GO?

by Garfimi » Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm

I have noticed that post of Utah locals has dropped off quite a bit over the last year. Maybe its because of the winter and people don't get out as much. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I also noticed that Wasatchvoyage is no longer on SP. Pages that used to be his have now been adopted by others. Where did he go?

Matthew Van Horn

Re: WHERE DID ALL THE LOCALS GO?

by Matthew Van Horn » Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

I believe we are all still here lurking, but you are correct - SP isn't such a gathering place as it was 2-5 years ago. I suspect the explosion in social media has made this site a little obsolete, at least the social part of it.

Garfimi

by Garfimi » Tue May 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Matt,
SP has become less and less of a place that people plan trips, meet up, and post new adventures. Its a little disheartening for me because SP was and has been the place that I go and expand myself to newer things and places.

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Through Summitpost I've found a core group of hikers with similar skills and interests, so I'm almost never lacking for partners. I no longer visit Summitpost for the same reasons I used to, but I still check it out almost daily.

Garfimi

by Garfimi » Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Joseph Bullough wrote:Through Summitpost I've found a core group of hikers with similar skills and interests, so I'm almost never lacking for partners.

You found that core group of people to go out with. I'm still looking for that group and SP seemed to be that place where I could find that group. A person like me that has no friends that have any interest in what I do, it makes it tough to go out and push myself to do harder, more challenging things, when I don't have great experience to do so. In my eye a person like you is a local legend, that I am trying to be like or would love to go out and do something with (That kinda sounded pathetic). SP has helped me to push myself and get out and do tougher things and seeing it go from where it was 2-3 years ago, its hard to watch. Things change I realize, I'm just getting to the point where I need to go with people that have the experience to take me to the next level that I'm looking to go and seeing those people aren't on SP any more or very little makes me feel stuck. (I don't know if I'm making any sense)

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 pm

There's a facebook group "Utah Outsiders" and a utahoutsiders@yahoogroups.com where trips are put together regularly. You should join those to search out people to hike/climb with. There's a wide range of skill level. I check out SP mostly for route beta, trip reports, and new places to climb. We should still keep a photo thread going. Photos were my favorite part of the forum. You should set one up for Spring 2011.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue May 03, 2011 8:57 pm

You're right! FACEBOOK is the place to go, but I feel hopelessly disconnected with the YOUNGER generation, so I don't go there.

I really miss these three interesting folks : MOCKBA, DEAN, and the woman from Zion - Tanya!

The members that no longer post (of course) give the excuse that they're always busy.

Hey, I'm busy too, BUT I always can find SOME time to post. GOTTA KEEP A REASONABLE PACE WITH THE YOUNGER WHIPPER SNAPPERS !!!

The Arizona threads have slowed quite drastically, too! I know ... I'M QUITE THE WHINER.

:roll:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue May 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I was planning to go up (to Utah) in July. Was going to possibly visit the Tushars (and Wasatch), as Arches NP will probably be too warm by then.

I would choose Utah over New Mexico, but ONLY because my parents live in Utah, and I'd like to sample some of my Mom's fresh apple pie.

With whipped cream, of course !!!

8)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 am

Now, now.. Join hands around the campfire, and put a smile on your mugs.

"Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time passing.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time ago ..
Where have all the flowers gone?
Girls have picked them every one ..
When will they ever learn?

When will they ever learn?"

builttospill

by builttospill » Wed May 04, 2011 7:52 am

Garfimi,

It seems that several of the people that were active in organizing trips (Marauders, Ammon?, Travis Atwood? and some others) have migrated over to the Utah Outsiders page on Facebook. As Marauders said, that's probably your best bet--I think it is an even bigger group than the one that was here.

In my case I moved away, so I don't even check the Facebook group. It just reminds me of what I'm missing.

Good luck.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed May 04, 2011 8:25 am

I know this is in the "Utah" board AND I have only been here for a little over a year AND I'm from California. But I think this site is great. Maybe 3 years from now I'll feel differently. Seems to me no matter how serious a hiker you are, how serious a climber you are or where you're from, SPers respond to your questions.

Kristin5berry

by Kristin5berry » Wed May 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Though I am not a "local," I will be in the Zion area June 3rd-7th for the first time soloing some canyons, doing some hiking and climbing if any one is around or wants to meet-up :)

~Kristin

Dean

by Dean » Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm still active on SP but I haven't posted a lot lately. I had a leg injury that curtailed my hiking until about two weeks ago and recently I've hiked some stuff in Nevada with Dennis Poulin, a SP'er from Oregon. We did 9 peaks in 10 days in southern Nevada. So I'm looking forward with more hikes with Greg & Kadee, Imontop, Mikerhiker, etc but I too lament the loss of Wasatchvoyage, he was a great asset to SP with his Utah contributions. Drop me a PM if you'd like to do something, I generally have fridays/saturdays free.

The following user would like to thank Dean for this post
lcarreau

Travis Atwood

by Travis Atwood » Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm

builttospill wrote:It seems that several of the people that were active in organizing trips (Marauders, Ammon?, Travis Atwood? and some others) have migrated over to the Utah Outsiders page on Facebook. As Marauders said, that's probably your best bet--I think it is an even bigger group than the one that was here.

I honestly havn't been out much due to school, new kid, and a move to Logan. I still lurk on here guite a bit, but most of what I follow now is over on the Utah Outsiders page. I'm finished with school now though so i'll be getting out at least every other weekend. I'll be sure to post plans here if people are still interested.

rmjwinters

by rmjwinters » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 pm

I lurk and then I lurk some more! I have not been terribly active on SP the past while, but still check in once in a while. I still get out alot in the Wasatch and probably run into alot of you on the trails here and there. Feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
Randy

Next

Return to Utah