Which of these 2 packs have you used?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Snidely Whiplash

Re: Which of these 2 packs have you used?

by Snidely Whiplash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 am

I'm surprised the Cilogear is falling apart. Which one is it? The 60L plain work sack, or the NWD 60L? Those packs are supposed to be bomber. If you made that one fall apart, any of these other ones won't last very long. FWIW, I have the Osprey Variant 37. Very comfortable and has all the technical features I want. Pole pockets, great tool attachment points, extra pocket under the lid, etc. Having said that, I don't think the fabric is that burly. That's the trade-off for a lighter pack. I'm guessing the Variant 52 would end up having the same issue. I'm pretty sure the CCW is a much beefier pack, but it won't be any beefier than the Cilogear.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 am

Snidely Whiplash wrote: I'm pretty sure the CCW is a much beefier pack, but it won't be any beefier than the Cilogear.

Pretty common knowledge on the difference in quality between the two brands if a Internet search tells you anything. In my expereince there is no comparison.

There are some nice packs available but none in the same class for durability (and actual weight of the packs) as CCW packs that I have seen.

40+ lbs in a soft pack? I used a WT Andinista for years guiding and carried more than 40# many times. Not that I liked it, just did it. If a soft frame pack actually fits you and the waist belt can share part of the load they carry as big/heavy a load as you are likely physically capable of just fine. As much as I could stand with anyway. Any time you get past 25 to 30 % of your body weight no pack is going to be fun.

50# plus..bringing a load down from 6000 meters.

Same pack different color used as a summit pack..likely less than 20# in this one.

ADKMan

by ADKMan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:16 pm

If you put a CCW pack and a Cilogear pack side by side it instantly becomes clear which pack is beefier (hint: it isn't the Cilogear)

I have had a Variant 28, 37 and 52 and never had strap problems with any of them

Snidely Whiplash

by Snidely Whiplash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 pm

JC wrote:Has no one else's straps all fallen off any one else's Variant 52s?

Not yet...on a 37.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 pm

JC wrote:Has no one else's straps all fallen off any one else's Variant 52s?

Nope! Not yet, anyway. . .

Previous

Return to Gear