Winds on Wheeler Peak (NM)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
chewbachman

Winds on Wheeler Peak (NM)

by chewbachman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 am

I just hiked Humphery's Peak, Flagstaff Arizona, yesterday and while I was told by everyone a million times that it would be windy I don't know that I could have quite imagined it being as windy as it was. This was my first time at this altitude. I'm looking to hike Wheeler Peak (NM) at some point and I was wondering if I should expect similar conditions wind wise at the top. Thanks!

Bark Eater

Re: Winds on Wheeler Peak (NM)

by Bark Eater » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Yes, it can be quite windy. The Bull of the Woods Trail is highly scenic but has a long exposed hike above treeline. We took the Williams Lake approach, which is better during questionable weather due to shorter approach and far less exposure.

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
chewbachman

chewbachman

by chewbachman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks! I'll def keep that in mind while planning this trip.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Make sure you check out the Bavarian restaurant near the Williams Lake trailhead after the hike. Highest altitude dining in NM and also great beer!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 pm

The Williams Lake route can be an avalanche hazard. I've been up on Wheeler a few times from calm and clear to windy as hell.

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
chewbachman

chewbachman

by chewbachman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:39 pm

High altitude dining and a nice beer sounds like a good combination after a long hike!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Duke, thanks for the qualification on avy hazard. Yes, I was referring to summer conditions. There are some big chutes heading down to that lake that I wouldn't want to be underneath with a significant snowpack.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm

+1 Duke, I hiked the Williams Lake trail this May 29th. Good snow climb but in winter could be totally be avalanche hazard. I brought microspikes and hiking poles, but met local hikers on the top with no traction gear at all. It was very windy on the top. Compared to my Feb.19 Humphreys Peak climb it was windier, and overall harder. :o

chewbachman

by chewbachman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Alright, so I'm expecting wind at this point... Is June the best month to do this hike? I assume that being in the South West I want to avoid July and August with the Monsoon season. How much snow was left at the end of May? Are we talking snow drifts or constant snow? Thanks!

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Most years the snow holds on below treeline into June, it has been fairly warm so the snowline is probably higher than the past few years. Mid-June through early July are usually good along with most of the Fall, early October is my preferred time for the region.

The following user would like to thank aggiegeog for this post
chewbachman

phillinley

by phillinley » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Just went up today. Snow is still in intermitent drifts below treeline, but you can avoid snow on the climb to the saddle (and can use the snow fields to glissade on the way down). Very windy up top. A late June climb will probably get you a snow free hike below treeline given how much is still left.

ncst

by ncst » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Of all summits Humphreys Peak one of the windiest at top, that was an early October evening I think. It surprised me because it is not really that high a summit, but it felt like I would be blown off the mountain and really had to keep to the ground. Some weeks later Wheeler Peak can calm and sunny. Enjoy the hike!

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)