Winter at Baxter State Park

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
NW

Winter at Baxter State Park

by NW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

Just curious if they do any plowing inside the park at all in winter. I've kind of got mixed signals when I looked it up because some say no plow and some say there's winter cabins (not bunk houses or lean tos) for rent and it seemed odd that they wouldn't plow out to them

AlexeyD

Re: Winter at Baxter State Park

by AlexeyD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 am

NW wrote:Just curious if they do any plowing inside the park at all in winter. I've kind of got mixed signals when I looked it up because some say no plow and some say there's winter cabins (not bunk houses or lean tos) for rent and it seemed odd that they wouldn't plow out to them

Which cabins did you hear about? I'm pretty sure that there is no road access into BSP at all during the winter months. Definitions of a "cabin" can vary a lot, and it's not unreasonable that ones you've heard about in Baxter are indeed ski/snowshoe-accessible only in winter.

NW

by NW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Yea I have AWD but certainly not as good as 4WD. I don't mind snow shoeing it into the park but it isn't a short distance to the THs from the gate. Guess that would just mean a longer trip ! I was just thinking wow, Daiceys pond is a long way from the gate house, surely they must plow there if they want people to stay at them. But I suppose maybe snow mobilers use the cabins. Or skiers, lol. Clearly I was just thinking of it from an attempt on Katahdin point of view, ignoring all the other reasons why people would be in the park in the winter. My wants of going back to CO this winter got shut down so I was reassessing and came up with a winter Katahdin trip. Which I had been wanting to do anyway.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Catamount wrote:By right vehicle, I meant snowmobile.
OK, that makes sense now...when I read your previous post I thought you meant a car, and was very surprised!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)