winter mountaineering in BC ???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
lelf

winter mountaineering in BC ???

by lelf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 am

any idea what mountain can be climb in december/january/february ? up to AD+...anywhere out west basically (pacific range, BC rockies, alberta...)

thanks !!!

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:54 am

There are thousands of possibilities but it is mid winter here. Short daylight hours and deep snow make bigger objectives more difficult. Need more details about what you are trying to accomplish.

lelf

by lelf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:57 am

i just want to keep climbing alpine stuff during next winter...i am taking a one month mountaineering leadership course with AAI next august, then i,ll be back in quebec to take wilderness first respondant. I am thinking about going back out west to climb and keep improving my skills. What i am looking for is long couloir, gully climb, moderate alpine ice, snow climb, easy mix(snow/rock/ice), nice scenery (i am a photographer too...) any idea ? I know it is avalanche season so that's why i'm asking if people know some stuff that is doable at this time of year...

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Winter in the rockies is usually not the best time for steeper couloirs and alpine snow faces because of snow conditions. The snow quality/avalanche conditions are the issue. That sort of stuff doesn't firm up for sure until later in spring. We ski up lots of easier stuff, glacier/icefields or tag onto rocky ridges to get to summits.

You might be better to go ice climbing or ski mountaineering to build you skill sets and general mountain awareness.

Return to Canada and Alaska