Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Yes? No? When?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Yes? No? When?

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Matt,

recently two items that affect the content area of the site have been discussed. I am just wondering if these are potential changes, or just hopes and dreams?

And if changes, what kind of timing are we looking at for each? A couple months? A year? Wait until a new SP version, maybe several years?

The first, on making it so that 7, 8, 9, or 10 votes all have a positive impact on page score, but to different degrees. So that none of them would ever decrease a score. This was discussed in this thread (but it is well buried):
is-sp-doomed-t55080.html

The other, on changing how POTD/POTW works in some way, regardless of what the mechanism is. Discussed here:
suggestion-get-rid-of-potd-potw-show-random-picture-t56149.html
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4177
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1202 times in 814 posts

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
chugach mtn boy, Josh Lewis

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Sorry Chad, but neither of those items are high on my list of things to implement right now. POTD/POTW would be higher than the voting change (which may never happen), but it is still behind several other changes that will happen before addressing it.
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 340 times in 184 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 pm

Wasn't taking a strong position, just wondering if they were worth talking about.

Thanks.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4177
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1202 times in 814 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Right, I didn't take it as a strong position; just a curiosity about if they'll ever be worked on. So the POTD/POTW change is something that is on my radar and I hope to work on someday (I can't say for sure when), but the voting change is unlikely to happen anytime soon and perhaps never.
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 340 times in 184 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby brianhughes » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:52 am

Montana Matt wrote: ........... So the POTD/POTW change is something that is on my radar and I hope to work on someday (I can't say for sure when), but the voting change is unlikely to happen anytime soon and perhaps never.


That's cool. Only about five people in the world give a shit.
User Avatar
brianhughes

 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Marmaduke » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 am

brianhughes wrote:
Montana Matt wrote: ........... So the POTD/POTW change is something that is on my radar and I hope to work on someday (I can't say for sure when), but the voting change is unlikely to happen anytime soon and perhaps never.


That's cool. Only about five people in the world give a shit.


Brian, make that 6 people- you didn't count me! :lol: :lol:
User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Sonoma, California, United States
Thanked: 578 times in 444 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby brianhughes » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
brianhughes wrote:
Montana Matt wrote: ........... So the POTD/POTW change is something that is on my radar and I hope to work on someday (I can't say for sure when), but the voting change is unlikely to happen anytime soon and perhaps never.


That's cool. Only about five people in the world give a shit.


Brian, make that 6 people- you didn't count me! :lol: :lol:


Oh, sorry I forgot you. If it makes you feel any better, I just went and voted 10/10 on a bunch of your photos. :wink:
User Avatar
brianhughes

 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Josh Lewis » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:54 am

Mr. Chad is on to something! :) I think the vote weight needs a adjustment, do you guys not realize this would change the culture of sp. People rarely vote 9/10 and 8/10 these days because of how heavy of a influence it lowers the score. But if what Mr. Chad mentioned was implemented, we would see more fair votes and the score would not be heavily damaged. I know some of you don't care, but am I mistaken that sp has gone too far with 10's all because of the vote weight? :wink: (I'm not blaming the people who vote 10/10, I just think that the system it self needs adjustments)
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 472 times in 323 posts

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Cedar, chugach mtn boy, gabr1, mrchad9

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby chugach mtn boy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Mr. Chad is on to something! :) I think the vote weight needs a adjustment, do you guys not realize this would change the culture of sp. People rarely vote 9/10 and 8/10 these days because of how heavy of a influence it lowers the score. But if what Mr. Chad mentioned was implemented, we would see more fair votes and the score would not be heavily damaged. I know some of you don't care, but am I mistaken that sp has gone too far with 10's all because of the vote weight? :wink: (I'm not blaming the people who vote 10/10, I just think that the system it self needs adjustments)

I agree. It's a crazy system when the "i" information icon next to the vote button tells you 9 is a positive vote, whereas in fact it is a negative vote. Why not fix it to make the votes count the way the information popup indicates they will?

This is not all about photos, BTW--it's more about pages.

It is fashionable to say we don't care, but some people do, and the ones who do are significant contributors to the site. So why not?
Last edited by chugach mtn boy on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User Avatar
chugach mtn boy

 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Thanked: 181 times in 109 posts

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Cedar, Josh Lewis, Noondueler

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Marmaduke » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Matt, You don't state why the grading system is likely never to change. why? Is it really a time consumming procedure?
User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Sonoma, California, United States
Thanked: 578 times in 444 posts

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Cedar

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Noondueler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 am

For what it's worth It does seem a ridiculous that a 9/10 vote can cancel out 10 10/10 votes.
Also, how the hell is POTD determined? Apparently not necessarily photo excellence but some kind of strange timing and popularity. Seems when people are trending they could post a shot of the wallpaper in their bathroom and....POTD! :lol:
User Avatar
Noondueler

 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:55 am
Location: San Rafael, California, United States
Thanked: 70 times in 27 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 am

Noondueler wrote:Also, how the hell is POTD determined?

It is the photo submitted in a calendar day with the highest score, no other criteria.

Thus, it usually needs to be submitted in the first half of the day, so there is time to get the most votes. Weekends are a bit different as there are so few people online voting anyway.

And yes, it would be EXCELLENT if the scoring process would change. I think it would enhance the site a good bit. And also agree that it is mainly about properly scoring mountain and other submissions, not about scoring photos.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4177
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1202 times in 814 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby Buz Groshong » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Mr. Chad is on to something! :) I think the vote weight needs a adjustment, do you guys not realize this would change the culture of sp. People rarely vote 9/10 and 8/10 these days because of how heavy of a influence it lowers the score. But if what Mr. Chad mentioned was implemented, we would see more fair votes and the score would not be heavily damaged. I know some of you don't care, but am I mistaken that sp has gone too far with 10's all because of the vote weight? :wink: (I'm not blaming the people who vote 10/10, I just think that the system it self needs adjustments)


I disagree. From what I see, people vote the way they do simply because they don't want to cause any hard feelings by voting less than 10; it's not about the effect of their vote on the score, it's about how their vote is perceived. Changing the system will change very little; if you want honest votes you need to hide the votes - there's a reason elections use secret ballots.

BTW I'm not one of the six.
User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Thanked: 675 times in 475 posts

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby gabr1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 pm

If being part of the six means getting the girls count me in :wink: ...

Voting system changes would mean big improvements in the way people give credit to information submitted, it would all the gray tones to voting.

But if it is not possible/likely to be changed, could the information on the negative effect of voting less than 10 at least be clearly stated and visible? this would avoid new members from voting 7 or 8 on pages, thinking they are giving a positive vote.

Whatever the decisions are, thanks for all the hard work you put into this website.
User Avatar
gabr1

 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:13 am
Location: Trieste, Italy
Thanked: 17 times in 12 posts

The following user would like to thank gabr1 for this post
chugach mtn boy, mrchad9

Re: Yes? No? When?

Postby GlacierCountry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:05 pm

I wondered why everyone voted 10/10 on everything. It seemed pointless to have a voting system if everyone voted 10s all the time. Maybe I didn't read the voting criteria well enough when I first joined. I've voted on a few things but was using subjective criteria along the lines of 10/10 for a page that has great photos, detailed info, and articulate writing. I would vote 9/10 for good photos, good info, good writing, 8/10 for okay photos, good info, okay writing, etc.... All pretty subjective on a personal basis. In reading this thread it makes me wonder if I didn't cause some pages to have adverse standings because I voted 8 or 9/10, which I think is still "good" or "above average" in my mind. Maybe a vote of 8 or 9 does not convey that it's a good submission????
Mountains and Music
User Avatar
GlacierCountry

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Kalispell, Montana, United States
Thanked: 7 times in 7 posts

Next

Return to Site Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.