Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Your Best Mountaineering Beer Story - Here's Mine

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 pm

rpc wrote:calling some of that stuff "beer" is generous...I mean....Bud, really DMT??!! Given its lack of taste, is it lighter to carry in or something? :lol:

Well, on the upside, you don't need to carry any water :D
Luciano136

Postby rpc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:23 am

Bet you wouldn'ta dissed dem beers if you were standing next to me when I snapped that picture?!

well - of course, I only spary like that sitting in front of a computer & sippin a microbrew...sure it would've been a totally different song out in the backcountry :lol:
rpc

Postby rpc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:32 am

squishy wrote:
rpc wrote:
Bet you wouldn'ta dissed dem beers if you were standing next to me when I snapped that picture?!

well - of course, I only spary like that sitting in front of a computer & sippin a microbrew...sure it would've been a totally different song out in the backcountry :lol:

Not me, I will tell you Bud is crap to your face...

...out in the backcountry if someone else carried it in, I would never turn one down - bad beer but I DO have principles!
rpc

Postby Snowslogger » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:21 am

And did I spot some Vitamin R, aka Raaainieeeeeer Beeeeerrr? No, upon closer inspection it appears to be Rainier ale, the green death. But a good way to go...
Snowslogger

Postby Cheeseburglar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 am

I'm probably asking for abuse, but Budweiser does fuel some good outings for me.
4am:
And later in the day:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4701&parmuser=slynn4_13run&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
Cheeseburglar

Postby Bob Burd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Four cold ones personally delivered to the summit, perfectly chilled overnight, with card, by folks I'd never met. Can you doubt the existence of Angels?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby nartreb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:22 pm

I usually do not drink beer, but last summer discovered that it's got a very good balance of water and carbs after a long day in the hills. The way I discovered this was that a buddy of mine (who happens to be a lunatic, but in a good way) brought a mini-keg along on a Presidential Traverse.
We tapped it on Franklin Peak, and just as we were finishing it, another buddy met us with ice cream sandwiches in an insulated bag full of dry ice. That was a good day.

You can see the minikeg in this shot, just after we emptied it. The guy with the flag (it was July 4th) brought up the ice cream in the aluminum-lined bag he's holding. Though the keg was dry, we had some extra beer in cans and saved one for him.

nartreb

Postby rpc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Beer, beer, beer - I love beer:

Killing off the remnants of a 6-pack for breakfast at a rental car return before a flight home & a trip to work:

For lunch after a day of cragging at City of Rocks:

For supper after a desert tower:

18oz of recovery at the tailend of an 18-hr day:

Fancy Euro sh*tuff after a day of cragging:
rpc

Postby Luciano136 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:19 pm

For as much as I love beer, I actually do not enjoy it much after a long hard day. I'm usually way too dehydrated.
Luciano136

Postby welle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:37 pm

I once found a can of beer stashed in a creek after a week of slogging through muddy valley in White Mountains of New Hampshire - it was great! Another time my bf and I were on a short weekend backpack and at the end of a long day got to our shelter to find 4 guys who each carried up a case of beer (24ct.) and 5-10lbs of ice from the other side of the trail (2 miles from the parking lot). It was nice - we had cold beer all night long and even for breakfast!
welle

Postby Jakester » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Sometimes the Trail Beer isn't beer at all. Then again, neither is the trail, sometimes.

Along those lines...

My buddies and I have a favorite back country spot in Montana. We go there enough to warrant stashing extra bottles of our favorite (and some not so favorite) drinks under a large boulder.

We've never stashed beer though. It's always thoroughly consumed.

After a full year it's amazing how you forget what's been stashed, and finding it again is always a treat.

On one particular outing we recovered whiskey, jager and some rather nasty tequila. That night was a total shit show.
Jakester

Postby rhyang » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Bob Burd wrote:Four cold ones personally delivered to the summit, perfectly chilled overnight, with card, by folks I'd never met. Can you doubt the existence of Angels?

Well, she carried it in her pack .. all I did was provide occasional ribbing :)

She's the angel .. me, apparently not so much :twisted:
rhyang

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander